8th Grade: Ash

I had nothing better to do except lay around in my pajamas and read a book. Dally walks in and turns the radio on really loud. He's so annoying.

I stood up, "I'm gonna go meet up with Cadie." I pulled on my skull crop-top, plaid skirt, and combat boots.

"Want me to ride with you over there?" Dally asks, walking over to me, "the socs are getting pretty rough around here, and you don't wanna end up like Johnny, do ya?" Johnny had gotten mugged last week. Darry, Two-bit, Soda, and Steve found him all beat up in the lot. I sigh⎼as much as I hated to admit it, he was right, the socs were getting worse.

"Sure, thanks, Dal."

Finally, we arrived at Cadie's, "Hey Cadie!" I greet her happily.

"Cadie, who's up there?" Came Darry's voice from the basement weight room.

"It's Ash!" She yelled down to him as Soda walked in.

"Hey, Ash, what's up?" Soda smiled.

"Nothin' much, you?" I asked.

"Nothing much." Soda answers. "Want something to eat, Ash?" He asked, popping his head back in. "I'm making a chocolate cake for Steve if y'all want some!"

I grin and Soda gestured with his hand for me to shut up, "Yeah."

After we finish the chocolate cake, Cadie and Steve go to practice in the living room. They've been practicing a lot lately, and since I don't want to be at my house, I've been hanging out with Soda and Two-bit. We're in Soda's room playing truth or truth. Soda is doing my braids because he knows how to do them the way my mom used to do them.

"Soda, truth or truth?" Two-bit asks.

"Hard to pick really," Soda contemplates, "truth"

"How's it going with Steve?" Two-bit questions

"Ooo, tough question," I say which earns me a light smack on the head. "Ow!" I yelp playfully.

"Keep your head still and your mouth shut," Soda jokes.

"You still haven't answered my question," Two-bit chimes up from the corner.

"Steves great, actually," Soda says matter-o-factly I raise my eyebrows waiting for the catch, "he's a great friend."

I groan, "Soda! You need to tell him!"

"I know, but like he's so out of my league. He's just so amazing," Two-bit snickers from the corner, "You tell him that, and I will hurt you!"

I need to head home, and I am not about to walk home by myself when the socs are out and ready to jump us. So I ask Soda if he could walk me home. He agrees, "Thanks for walking home with me Soda." I thank him as we walk.

"Of course, Ash. My pleasure!" A while later we arrived back at my house, I'm practically frozen.

"Thanks for bringin' her home, Soda." Dally wraps his arm around me, making me warm. He notices the chocolate cake crumbs on my face and gives me the stern look dad should be givin' us when we don't study or somethin'. I roll my eyes and wipe my mouth with my sleeve, shivering. "You good, Ash?" Dally asks.

〜〜〜

In the morning, I feel better since I'm in a warm bed, but my happiness is short-lived as I hear dad throwing up downstairs. I hate it when my dad gets drunk for no reason, it makes me upset. I feel hot tears running down my face. Landing on the pillow. Dally wakes up seeming pretty pissed. He wrapped an arm around me, in the big brotherly love way-even though he was born two seconds before me, I can't help but smile. We pull ourselves out of bed and I make my way to the bathroom while he gets dressed, after he is done getting dressed, I do as well,