Chapter 20: We're Back

After the terrible sensation I was in a field of wheat. I fell to my knees gagging, and gasped for the fresh air. When I got my breath back, and my nausea under control I looked to see Reael and Zacael on their feet looking around. Kase was on his feet, Grey's hands were on his knees catching his breath, and I heard C throwing up behind a row of wheat. I slowly got to my feet, and squinted my eyes because of the blinding sunlight. "Where are we?" I asked in a raspy voice, Reael glanced at me, "No idea." she said, "No idea? You're the one who brought us here." Kase said as he wiped sweat off his forehead. Reael gave him an irritated look, and I knew that they would never get along. "I wasn't exactly thinking of a specific place. I think that we went to the default place." she said looking out among what looked like an endless field of wheat. "Well, we are not in the city." I said, and C walked out from behind the row of wheat, "How about we never do that again." he said, and Grey straightened up, "Agreed." he said, and I started walking. "Where are you going?" Zacael asked, and I looked back, "Not here." I said, and he raised an eye brow. I turned back around and continued walking. I heard them follow me, and I realized that this was going to be a lot harder than I had thought. I was extremely upset with Kase. Not only had he forced himself into this mission, but he also dragged along two of my other closet friends as well. Now I was with the people who meant the most to me, and I had a gut feeling this mission wasn't going to end well. I didn't know what to do. I ran off in a whirl wind of anger, and now I couldn't think of where to start. To be honest I wasn't even sure my mother was in this realm.

We walked for what I thought was about half an hour, and we finally stumbled along a small road. I could tell it was a very unpopular by the thick layer of dirt that covered it. "Great" I muttered, and I started walking along the road. We all walked in silence for a long time, and I was getting more and more irritable every second that passed. C picked up his pace and matched my pace, "Are you okay?" he asked, and I nodded, and he raised an eye brow, "Esme, I can sense lies, and you are not good at telling lies." he said, and I pressed my lips together, "Let's just say I have learned a lot this past month." I said, and he studied me, "You confused, aren't you?" he asked, and I nodded. "Esme, everything is going to make sense, you just have to be patient. This new reality is going to take time to conquer." he said, and I nodded, "Yeah, but I should be asking how you are." I said, and he shook his head, "We'll save that for another time." he said, and I was going to continue pressing, "Look, there is a car." I heard Reael say and I looked up to find a car driving towards us. "Oh thank God!" C said in a relieved voice. We all waved as the car rolled up to us, and I saw that the car was actually a big motor home, "finally figures out where we are... were in Oklahoma." C said.

We all waved as the motor home came up to us and I was thrilled when it came to a stop. The door opened and a mean looking biker guy stood there. He eyed all of us, and I could see a million question gathering in his eyes. "How far do you need a ride?" he asked, "Is there an airport nearby?" Grey asked, and the guy looked at him like he was nuts, "I'll drive you to the bar." he said and Grey nodded, "That's good too." he said, and we all shuffled onto the cigarette smelling, run down, motor home. He eyed each of us we walked in, and I had a very uneasy feeling about him. When we got into the Motor home there was two other biker dudes, and we shuffled away from them. Reael, Zacael, and C took a seat at the table, and Grey, Kase, and I sat in the floor. I sat in between them, and it felt odd. The three biker guys eyed us and then the one who let us in, started diving. It was completely silent for what felt like forever, but I was sure it wasn't longer than about an hour and a half. My eyes were starting to droop when one of the biker guys spoke up, "What are six teens doing in the middle of Oklahoma anyway?" he asked, and we were all silent for a few seconds, and his eyes started to narrow. "Stupid road trip idea." C said, and I let out a relieved breath. The guy looked over at him, "What's your name kid?" he asked, and I was expecting C to say his real name, but he lied, "Chris" he said without skipping a beat, and the guy slowly looked away from him. He looked over at me, and then at Grey, and then at Kase. "I am an expert at knowing people. I know that you are lying to me Chris." he said, and my heart started to speed up, and he looked right at me, "What's your name gorgeous?" he asked me, and I glared at him, hating that he had called me gorgeous. He raised an eye brow, "Don't you be looking at me like that!" he said, and I had to refrained from standing up and punching him square in that crooked nose of his. "That's enough." Grey said, and he gave Grey a look like he was some pest, and looked back at me, "I asked you what your name is." he said in a less than friendly voice, and I glared at him, "I'm not telling you my name." I said, and he stood up aggressively, but Kase was already up and in front of me within a split second. "You need to settle down, and stop bothering her." he said in an intimidating voice, and the guy cracked an ugly laugh, "What? Is a wimpy kid like you going to fight me?" he asked, and I saw that this was not going to end well. I saw Kase tensing, and Zacael stood up, "Guys, it's hot and everyone is short tempered, just settle down before you two get the crap kicked out of you." he said, and the biker gave Zacael an irritated glance, "Go back to your seat goodie goodie." he said, and Zacael's eyes flashed with anger. "Hey what's going on back there?" I heard the diver call back, and the guy's shoulders relaxed slightly, "Nothing Dan" he called back and flopped back into his chair, then Kase and Zacael slowly settled back into their seats. I let out a breath I didn't know that I was holding, and Kase squeezed my hand as he relaxed next to me once again.

The tension continued for the rest of the hour that we rode in the motor home, and we finally stopped in front of a building and I was very relieved. When we got out of the gross motor home I saw that it was a fairly large building and gas station. It looked like a total biker hang out from all of the motor cycles and huge dudes with leather jackets and sun glasses. We started towards the bar when a familiar wicked pain exploded into my head, and I fell to the ground. Kase caught me before I could hit the ground, and I was shaking from pain for almost thirty seconds. When the pain finally went away, I went limp, gasping in short breaths. "Esme, are you okay?" Kase asked, and I swallowed, "Fine" I said shortly as I heaved myself to my feet. "You're not okay." Reael said stopping me, and I pressed my eyes shut, "Reael, I'm fine." I said giving her a look. She decoded to let me go, but I knew she was worried. The six of us huddled together, and slowly walked up to the intimidating bar. When we walked in it was loud, smelled like cigarettes and alcohol, and everyone in the building was a biker dude with a leather jacket and a forged scowl. We quickly walked to a table in a far off corner, and all huddled together. "This is not what I expected." I said first, and C snorted, "I don't think any of us thought we would be hitch hiking with a bunch of biker guys and taking refuge in a bar." he said, and I gave his a shrug, "You wanted to come." I said, annoyed, "Okay, so what should we do?" Reael asked being the determined and no distractions person she always is. I thought about it for a minute, "Well, she was kidnapped from my home in Florida, so maybe we should go there and see if my step father has any answers." I said, and Reael pondered this, "Why don't you just call him? We are back in the mortal realm so a phone can get a hold of him." Grey said, and I grinned at him, "Of course." I said and he grinned, and then I frowned, "Oh, I lost it when I escaped from the Academy." I said and Kase held out his phone, and I smiled, "Thanks" I said, and he glanced over at Grey for some reason. I typed in my step father's phone number and held it up to my ear. It rang for a long time and I was about to give up hope when I heard it click, and him say, "Hello?" I was thrilled. "Rob?" I asked, "Who is this?" he asked, "This is Esme." I said and there was a long moment of silence, "How is your time at your father house?" he asked, and at first I was confused, and then I remembered that he still thought I was visiting my father's home. "Uh, it's been okay." I said, "Good, your mother told me about how you are changing schools, and going to grandmother private school. I am glad you finally found a school you love. We are sad that you are moving to France, but I think that it's for the best." he said and I was stunned. Did my mother tell him what type of student's my grandmothers school was for? It took me a while to process everything he had said, "Uh, do, do you mind if I speak to my mother? I haven't been able to get a hold of her." I asked, and there was a pause, "Sorry Esme, your mother went on a business trip and won't be back for a while." he said, and my blood went cold. He just flat out lied to me. Was he not telling me because he wanted to protect me, or because he had something to do with it? I decided to take a leap of faith, "Rob, I know my mother has been kidnapped." I said, and it was totally silent on the other side of the phone that I almost thought we lost connection before he answered, "Do you know about everything?" he asked, "Yes" I said, and I heard him let out a breath of relief, and I did as well, "Do you have any idea who took her?" he asked, "Yes, I'm pretty sure Wizards took her." I said, and I waited for him to freak out, "Okay" he said in a quiet voice, "Why would they want to kidnap her?" he asked, "I don't know. I need you to tell me anything you herd or any leads you have." I said, and I waited for him to answer, "I heard them say something about a boss in Los Vegas. I think that I also herd them say something about how they had to get her to the Frontier Crown hotel." he said, and my face lit up in a huge smile, "Thank you so much Rob. You have no idea how helpful that is." I said, and there was a pause, "Esme, you aren't going after your mother are you?" he asked, and I focused my voice, "No, I was gathering information for the people who are about to go looking for her." I said, and I prayed that he bought it, "Okay, just don't go get yourself into danger. If these people are actually....... Wizards they are going to be dangerous. Let the professional handle this." he said, "I will." I said and barley held up the lie, "okay bye." I said, and hung up before he could say bye back. When I gave the phone back to Kase they all looked at me expectantly. "Well, guess we are going gambling." I said. C laughed, "None of us are twenty one." he said, and I looked over at Zacael and Reael, and he rolled his eyes, "Okay, none of us look twenty one." he said, and I smiled, "Yeah, your right, but we will deal with that when we get there." I said, and he nodded, "Alright, but I'm starving, and I'm not going anywhere before I get food." he said and my smile melted away, "We don't have any money." I said, and Grey laughed, and I turned to look at him. Grey and Kase held up several stacks of hundred dollar bills. I stared at them, "Where did you get all of that?" I asked, and Kase grinned, "We have our secrets." he said, "There is a kid at the academy who can create money." Grey said, and Kase gave him an annoyed looked for giving away his secret. "Well, I guess we can eat." I said, and C grinned.