Chapter 2: Let The Story Begin

I stood up from the bed and threw on some clothes that I thought would be comfortable enough for the plane ride. I lived in Florida, so the flight would be long. I put on some jeans, a sweat shirt, and some sneakers. I grabbed my suitcase, and lugged it down the white sleek stairs. When I got to the kitchen, Reid, Lexa, and Flynn were eating breakfast at the table. Lexa, Flynn, and Reid were my step siblings. Lexa was a total pain, she was constantly changing her hair color and thinks that she is the queen of the world. She is sixteen, which is a year younger than me, and she thinks I am her nemesis, or so it seems. Flynn is fourteen and I don't know him very well. Rob, my step father, and my mother have been married for three years, and throughout those years, I don't think I have ever had a full conversation with him. The only of my three step siblings I actually enjoy talking too is Reid, and he is enough. I walked up to my mother who was standing at the stove scrambling eggs, and I grabbed a piece of sausage. "Can you take me to the airport?" I asked, and by the way she looked at the eggs I knew that she wasn't going to be able to. She saw the disappointed look on my face, and she let out a sigh, "Sorry sweetie, I have a really big day." she said, and I tried to compose my face, "It's okay, I understand." I said, and slumped into one of the empty chairs at the table. "Am I taking you?" Reid asked a little hesitantly, and I gave him a small nod. "God forbid mom doesn't stop everything, to drop you off at an airport." I heard Lexa say under her breath and I was in no mood to handle her. I looked up at her with a glare and she widened her eyes in mock fear. "The world doesn't revolve around you." she said, and it took everything in me to not say the same to her. I stood up abruptly, "When do you want to leave?" I asked Reid and he swallowed a big bite of eggs, "Whenever you're ready." he said. One look at my face and he knew I was ready. "Okie, Dokie." he said, and wiped his mouth as he stood up and grabbed the suitcase for me. I said good bye to everyone and hugged my mom. As I followed him out of the door, a white hot pain exploded into my head, and I fell against the wall. Reid turned around surprised, "You okay?" he asked, and I nodded trying to play it of as if nothing had happened. Unfortunately, it wasn't the first time I had this pain in my head. It always tended to happen right before something important. I assumed it was stress, and anxiety over what I had to do.

The car ride wasn't that long, but the entire time Reid kept glancing over at me with weird looks. I was anxious to get to the airport and to get over the awkward first day I always had when I went to visit my father. When Reid pulled up at the drop off area I hopped out of the car, "Thanks for driving me." I said, and he nodded. He got my suit case out of the trunk, and he handed it to me. "You sure you're okay?" he asked, and I pressed my lips together, "Yes, I'm fine. I'll miss you." I said, and he gave me a hug, "Make sure you keep in touch." he said, and I gave him a small laugh, "I will." I gave him a wave as I walked away. As I trudged into the busy airport, I instantly forgot about Reid as I looked at the huge clock inside. My plane was going to leave in ten minutes, and panic shot through me. I started running, and I had to dodge and swerve around people. I got to the loading dock a minute before they were going to close it. I was out of breath and when I handed the lady my ticket, and she shot me a worried look. I walked onto the plane extremely relieved that I hadn't missed it. I took my seat by the window, and let out a breath. "Bad day?" I heard a voice ask and I looked into the aisle to find a nice looking old lady. I gave the lady a small smile, "There is nothing worse than missing a plane." I said, and she smiled and gave me a laugh that I think every grandmother possesses. It surprised me when she took the seat next to me, and I was happy that I wasn't stuck next to some jerk instead. "Darling, has anyone ever told you how amazing your eyes are?" she asked, and I tried not to grimace at the remark, but I think she got the vibe. "Oh, sweetie, your eyes are nothing to be ashamed of. You are truly a beauty." she said, and I gave her a genuine smile, "Thank you." I said, and she pulled out a pack of gum, "Oh, would you like a piece?" she asked, and I couldn't help but grin at her, "Sure" I said, and took a piece of her gum. "Hun, why are you traveling alone?" she asked, I was touched that she cared, "Oh, I'm going to visit my dad." I said, and her eye filled with sympathy, "I would never let my children travel alone." she said, and she touched her lips, "Oh, how rude of me, I'm Ginny." she said, and she held out her hand, "Esme" I said, and she seemed intrigued by the name, "Did you know that that name means esteemed and beloved?" she asked, and I raised an eye brow, "No I did not." I said, and the plane started to take off. "I have always loved that name." she said mostly to herself. I looked out the window as the plane took off, and my stomach did a flip like it always did during takeoff and landings. Ginny pulled out a furniture magazine, and I looked out the window at the beautiful scenery. I had always loved heights and I never understood how people couldn't be a fan of a beautiful view.