7. The Unheard Story from the Past

Start from the beginning

"Come back here..." Georgia's voice falters as she tries to free her hands but they fail to escape the duvet. In the next seconds, she starts snoring again.

Glancing at Georgia, Luke stops two feet from where Cobie is standing, a little bit too close for her liking. The man slips his hands into his pockets and smiles at her. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"What if I'm not? Are you going to tuck me in, too?" Once the words leave her mouth, Cobie is so close to smacking her own head. Why did she say that?

Luke chuckles. "I might."

She laughs, trying to subtle her nervousness. She looks down at her own high heels and kicks them off. She needs to keep herself busy to avoid unnecessary eye contact with him. "Thank you for helping us, and goodnight, Luke. I'll see you in the morning."

"Anytime, Evans. Sleep well."

Cobie nods, still refusing to look him in the eye, but he can feel his intense gaze on her. In the next few seconds, which feels like forever, Luke makes his way out of the room. She waits until he disappears behind the door before she can breathe normally again.

At least she didn't break any rules this time.

She shouldn't have showered. It sobers her up and now she has trouble falling asleep. Dammit.

Cobie tosses around under her cover, and Georgia's peaceful sleeping face is the first thing she sees. It's hilarious how she looks like an angel when she's asleep but behaves like a lioness when she's awake. Despite her uneasiness to see the secretary openly show her feelings to their boss, Cobie has to admit that she admires her. She wishes she had the bravery and confidence. She used to, though, but Peter took it away, and she never gained it back. Showing feelings to the person she's attracted to is declaring defeat, and that's a fact.

The blinking green light from her phone draws her eyes to her nightstand. Right, Harry texted her when she was in the taxi, but she didn't have a chance to check it. Georgia demanded her attention more.

She extends her hand to grab the phone.

Harry: I so dont why cant she get me for once? What she want from me?

Cobie rereads the message three times, trying to make sense of every word displayed on the screen. Harry doesn't text like this, and he definitely doesn't text her this late. Has someone used his phone to prank him? Or...oh.

Me: Did you drunk text me?

She's about to put her phone back on the nightstand when her phone chimes, blinking his name. Not wanting to wake up the sleeping lioness, Cobie jumps out of her bed and tiptoes to the balcony door.

"Hello," she says once she closes the door behind her.

"There you are. The favorite sister," Harry's voice vibrates from the phone receiver, a slur in his voice. Loud R&B music and the sound of people shouting and laughing make it hard for Cobie to hear him properly. But she notices his sarcastic tone. What is going on?