Chapter One- The Wall

Start from the beginning

Okay well, this conversation is going in the opposite direction of where I'd like it to go... "That's what you would call stage fright..."

"Stagefright my ass." She glared at me. "I have been up there with you. You would never even see the crowd when you're in your dancing."

I smile knowing she's right once again and shove her shoulders, "I'm hungry, and isn't pizza day?" Food is always the best way, and the only true way to distract Kat from her rants. Especially when they're involving me and my shyness.

She glared at me, "I will only ignore your change in the subject because it involves food."

I smirked at my success and began to head toward the lunch room when I hit a wall head-on, real smooth Dawn, real smooth. But what was worse than hitting the wall was when the wall asked: "Are you okay?"

That's when I completely freaked out and fell back into Kat who was doing a horrible job of trying not to laugh at me. "Oh my god! Are you okay?" The wall with big strong arms literary picks me up like a feather off the ground where I fell down like a rock.

I looked around confused, "The heck?" I stared dumbly putting my hand on the wall which was moving under my hand... Oh no... I just landed myself in the motherload of clichés. Maybe this is why my mom always tells me not to look at the ground when I'm walking...

My wall was really the chest of a guy. Kat, in the background, had let her laugh go and held nothing back. Really nothing back. I think I heard her snort more than once.

After I finally gathered enough courage to look up and see these amazing green eyes looking down at me. I swear if my face could have gotten any redder it would look like I was going to pass out right then and there. Which probably would save me more embarrassment that happened when I recognized who this person was.

"Hey... Are you... Okay?" The familiar eyes asked me, his freckles moving with them, making me freeze in my spot. He probably wondering at this point if I had hit my head when I fell, well I sure felt like it.

Luckily Kat got her words back soon enough to save me, "Oh hey Jack. Nice to bump into you." She said smirking, obviously proud of her wordplay.

I looked at him gave him a sheepish smile, and proceeded to remove his arms from holding me upright. Damn, I don't remember Jack being this attractive... How could someone this attractive be so dangerous? It's just not fair.

"Um ya, nice to see you..." He answered still only looking at me. I must look like a little girl who is scared after watching a Scooby-Doo movie. I can't be around guys like him, you just never know what will happen. For all, I know he may have a gun on him right now! He's not going to recreate the Hate List, is he? Cause I definitely just landed myself on that list if he ever does... Besides I have so much life to live, going to college, and having a family.

I haven't even finished my Easter candy yet! I gave Kat the 'get me the hell out of here look'. But that brat only smiled and stood there. Friends I tell you to have no sense for your safety.

Jack just stood there watching us, or me for that matter while I'm trying not to make eye contact with him... don't want him to think I'm challenging him right? I finally sucked a breath and turned to him my eyes darting everywhere but his face, "Well... I am starving and since it's lunchtime... and you know... food and... I'm going to go now... Sorry for plowing into you." I waved awkwardly as I moved farther away from him.

He gave me a weird look and gave an awkward wave back, "See ya?"

I nodded and grabbed Kat's arm trying to casually drag her down the hallway. Once we made it around the corner I sighed and let out my breath slumping onto the, probably dirty, floor. Kat laughed, "Why are you always so awkward around guys? Don't get me wrong it's entertaining but it's not good for you. How are you ever going to get a boyfriend acting like that?"

I grunted that's the least of my worries at this point, "Let's just forget about this for a while and just enjoy food. All this awkwardness is giving me food cravings."

Her eyes lit up, "Does this mean you will eat lunch with us today?"

"Ohh no... I have had enough awkwardness for one day." She rolled her eyes, "I don't see why you eat lunch alone when you can join us. It's really not that bad Dawn."

I sighed, "Just... not today. I need my quiet time away from those... creatures."

She gave me a weird look, "Teachers?"

"No people."

"You're so dramatic."

I smiled at her, "Shut up." I turned to walk away but as always she still got in the last word.

"Fine. Have fun alone but remember I didn't miss you checking Jack out earlier."