Chapter 37

“I’m Emily Garner, your wedding planner, dear.”

Wedding planner?! Oh, wow, okay. Wasn’t prepared for that.

However, she discovered that the panic she’d expected to feel at that statement was apparently absent, and instead, she found that the idea had generated a swarm of nervous butterflies in her stomach, their wings tickling along this way and that. Not that she was in any way ready for such an event. They still had quite a few bridges to cross before for that would come.

Numerous bridges. Loads of traffic. So many tolls.

But still, in the spirit of ‘their normal’…

I mean, one day… it might be nice.

“Oh! Oh, I’m so sorry, you kind of look familiar, but I have a pretty solid block on anything Lisa related, unfortunately,” she said, pointing to her temple.

“That is unfortunate,” she said, her face falling into a sorrowful grimace.

“Well, it’s lovely to meet you, or to meet you again, I guess,” she giggled softly. “I didn’t even know that we had a wedding planner. Lisa never mentioned it.”

“Yes, well, I suppose it’s more accurate to say that I was your wedding planner,” she said, the pity evident in her eyes. “You were such a lovely couple. Such a shame.”

And, suddenly, it was like an icy shock to her system.

What…? She felt the small smile fall from her face as she absorbed the words, trying to make sense of them in any way that she could.

“We… we were?” she asked uneasily.

Oh god. What’s going on here?

She was their wedding planner? They were a lovely couple? It was such a shame? That formerly absent panic had made an appearance and was quickly growing, echoing into her chest and expanding outwards as her throat began to close up.

“Absolutely. One of the sweetest I’d ever had the pleasure to work with. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen two people more in love in all of my years in this business.”

“Oh, um…” Wow. “Well, thank you, but… I’m sorry, you’re no longer working with us or…?” she stuttered, still trying to wrap her head around what exactly was happening at that moment.

Breathe, Rosie. Just breathe.

“Unfortunately, no. I was so looking forward to the big day, for both of you, and it was so hard to hear the news when Miss Manoban called.”

Lisa called her and… She felt like the air had just been sucked from her body as she struggled to keep her feet steady. What did she say??

“The news…? I’m sorry, when did Lisa call and what did she say?” She heard the edge of desperation leak into her voice as she gripped the strap of her bag a little tighter, her knuckles straining under the pressure.

“Oh.” The question seemed to surprise the older woman, which only made Rosie’s angst grow faster. “Well, originally she called sometime in early October to say it was possible you may need to postpone the event. She said you’d had an accident and might need some more time to… I believe she said ‘readjust.’”

“Oh!” Rosie felt some of the tension leave her shoulders as she sagged in on herself.

She just pushed it back!

“But then,” Ms. Garner continued, “I believe it was around the end of October that she called and canceled everything. I was so sorry to hear you were no longer together.”