Chapter 22

She looked at herself once more in the guest bathroom mirror and blew out a deep, shaky breath, running a hand through her hair. She’d fallen asleep last night, floating on cloud nine, so happy she could barely stand it. She could still feel Rosie’s lips softly pressed against her own as the last thoughts left her mind and she drifted off. But she’d woken up in a very different state of mind, listening to the deafening silence echoing throughout the house and terrified that it would be empty. She’d slowly gotten up and quietly padded into the kitchen, standing there and listening carefully, sighing when she picked up the sound of the shower running from the master bathroom. 

Okay, she’s here but… doesn’t mean she’ll stick around.

Unsure of what else to do, she’d grabbed her own things to get ready for the day and slipped into the other bathroom as quietly as she could. If Rosie was going to run out, she couldn’t stop her and she honestly wasn’t sure she could even handle watching it happen again if that was the blonde’s plan.

She leaned the weight of her body onto her palms against the back shower wall, standing under the steady stream above her, letting it cascade over her weary form. She hated that the first thing that entered her brain that morning was the possibility of Rosie panicking and taking off, but she had to be realistic about the situation, and considering everything that had transpired over the last month, the idea wasn’t that far out in left field.

She sighed, remembering the night before and that kiss that had left her absolutely floating and almost giddy with hope. It had been so amazing. So incredible. And, good god, she’d missed Rosie’s unbelievably perfect lips so damn much. When they’d finally said goodnight and parted ways, Rosie had seemed fine with everything. Hell, she seemed downright jubilant. But, they’d been down this road before and the last time something comfortable and easy had happened between them, the next morning was a very different story. Last time, they’d simply fallen asleep next to one another and it had scared the absolute crap out of Rosie. If sleeping next to one another was that bad, a kiss would likely send her through the stratosphere.

Of course, a harsher truth hung over Lisa’s head as she slowly lathered her shampoo through her dark locks. Even though she couldn’t really stop Rosie from running away if that’s what she decided to do, the blonde taking off would probably signal the end of them. They’d said they would try to start over but if Rosie was going to disappear after a simple kiss… well, Lisa realized that she couldn’t keep chasing after her, hoping one day that the hunt would stop.

But then what would she do? She’d never pictured a life without Rosie until a few days ago when that seemed to be the only available option and, quite frankly, the mere thought left her feeling like she couldn’t breathe. Without Rosie, her life would be completely different and in the worst way possible. Rosie had been the sunshine in her dark existence for so long and she knew she’d never find anyone or anything else as bright and as luminous as the plucky girl. Going back into that shadowy reality was so utterly terrifying and she knew there’d be no other way to fight it without Rosie at her side.

Finding her own fears starting to overwhelm her, she’d quickly finished her shower and after getting ready and giving herself another long hard look in the mirror, she stepped out of the bathroom, fully dressed and ready for whatever the day had planned for her. To her utter surprise, she could clearly hear the sounds of cupboards opening and closing and silverware clinking against ceramic. Rosie was in the kitchen and definitely not trying to keep quiet. She slowly made her way towards the end of the hallway, peaking around once she reached it, and caught sight of Rosie, quietly humming to herself as she poured a cup of coffee into her well-loved Tardis mug, spooning a criminal amount of sugar into the dark liquid once the mug was filled.