Chapter 19

Rosie sat on her stool at the pizzeria, glancing around the small restaurant and nervously fidgeting as she waited for Lisa. The dark-haired girl had been long gone by the time she’d woken up that morning and she’d spent the day somewhere between over the moon as she thought over their new ‘first date’ the night before and nervous over what was to come in their future, together.

The date had gone pretty well if she said so herself. She smiled a little, thinking about how incredibly sweet and playful Lisa had been, going out of her way to make it feel like a real first date for Rosie. She was so lucky that with the situation she was in, it was Lisa that was by her side. That Lisa was so amazingly patient and respectful. And that she clearly was just as determined as Rosie to try and make this work.

If not more so…

She’d laid in bed the night before, thinking over how she wanted to repay the other girl, not only for all she’d done but just for being Lisa. She’d been putting up with this whole amnesia debacle for a month now and Rosie had to wonder if she would be able to do the same if their roles were switched. She’d like to think she could handle it and that she’d stick by Lisa’s side, but at the same time, it was such a monumentous obstacle to scale. Sure, she was stubborn and liked a challenge. But what Lisa was doing for her, for them… well, she wasn’t sure she’d ever be able to give back for all that the dark-haired girl had sacrificed. She wanted to try though and what better way than to start by doing something that Lisa would love. The idea of the art museum had come to her as they ridden up in the elevator the night before. She’d only been there once, that she remembered, for an article she’d been working on for the University of Chicago Times. Art hadn’t exactly been her forte at the time but she was still new to the staff and eager to sink her teeth into whatever she could get her hands on. She remembered it being a rather impressive collection and thought perhaps it might provide another way for her and Lisa to connect if they spent the day there, together.

However, there was another dilemma plaguing her. She didn’t want to wait another three days for a second date, especially when they’d still be seeing each other every day considering their living arrangements. But that was something she figured she could easily remedy and between putting the finishing touches on one of her articles and returning emails, she’d texted Lisa, around noon, asking if the dark-haired girl might want to grab a bite with her after she was done for the day. It took her about a dozen rough drafts, her thumbs furiously typing and then deleting over and over, but she was pretty pleased with the final result.

Super casual, Park. Way to go, she thought with a proud little smile. After all, if they were starting over, this was a clean slate and a whole new realm to prove just how nerdy and awkward she really was.

Rosie (12:02PM): Hey, so, I just wondered if you’d be interested in having dinner with me tonight? Not a big deal or anything. I just figured I have to eat. And you have to eat. And why not eat together? It was fun last night so just let me know. I’ll be here. All day. By myself. While you’re there.

She had waited for hours, desperately trying not to read into the silence, before she’d finally gotten a response, and it had instantly brought a smile to her face and butterflies to her stomach.

Lisa (3:42PM): Sorry, this has literally been the shoot from hell. But I should be done around six and I’d love to have dinner with you. What did you have in mind?

Rosie (3:43PM): No worries. Just glad you aren’t ignoring me on purpose. How about the pizza place around the corner from our house? I can meet you there at like 6:30?

Lisa (3:45PM): Why on earth would I ignore a cute girl like you, Park? I’ll see you then.

She tried not to blush. She really did. Or at least she put up a valiant effort.