Chapter 16

Sighing once again, she looked back down at the note on the counter, reading it once more and feeling her stomach anxiously clench. She shouldn’t have been surprised to find it there that morning.

After all, it’s not like she owes you anything after the stunt you pulled yesterday. You should be ashamed of yourself.

And she was. She was utterly mortified and filled with relentless guilt but of course, there was nothing she could do about that now. She couldn’t turn back the clock and stop herself from running to her friends like a coward. She couldn’t erase the pained look on Lisa’s face when she’d snapped at her. She couldn’t take back the sadness and distress she’d caused the dark-haired girl.

She’d finally fallen asleep the night before after tossing and turning for hours, her heart physically aching as she remembered what she’d done that day and at the thought of the anguish, she was sure to cause the next. The clock on the bedside table had read 3:30 AM before she finally drifted off to a restless sleep. When she’d woken up hours later, she was horrified to discover it was already well after eleven. She quickly threw herself from the bed and tore into the hallway, sliding on the hardwood, only slowing down once she finally reached the living room. She’d peered around the corner, her heart dropping when she saw it was empty. Lisa wasn’t there.

Shit! Well, where is she?

She helplessly walked back into the deserted kitchen, at a loss of what to do. Looking around she noticed her favorite tardis mug sitting alone in the middle of the counter. Definitely doesn’t belong there. She approached it, seeing the piece of paper underneath it and immediately released the breath she didn’t realize she was holding, her shoulders sagging in defeat.

Rosie,
Spending the day with Seulgi and Taeyong, if it matters.
Lisa

It had been like a bucket of ice water to her face. Jesus, if it matters?! Oh my god, I fucked up so bad.

Rosie slumped down at the counter, the air completely taken out of her. How could she start to fix this if Lisa wasn’t even there? How could she make it right?

She’d picked up her phone at least a dozen times, tempted to explain everything but she couldn’t do that. She owed it to Lisa to at least face her. She owed it to her to look her in the eye when she apologized and explained herself. However, she couldn’t leave Lisa thinking all day that she didn’t care. That she didn’t matter. She had to say something and after more time debating than was necessary, she settled on something simple.

Rosie (11:48AM): I saw your note. I’ll just see you when you get home.

She immediately regretted the text as soon as she sent it. It was so cold and impersonal, and not at all where she wanted this conversation to start. But it was too late. And really, what more could she do? She needed to have the brunette there, in front of her, face to face if she really wanted to try and repair what had been broken.

She stared at her phone for the longest time, willing Lisa to respond with something, anything to give her an opening to at least let her know she wanted to talk. The minutes ticked by slowly, each one seeming to take longer than the last. Finally remembering the old adage about the watched pot never boiling, she made her way to the shower and spent more time than necessary getting ready for the day. After all, she had no plans to leave the house. She wasn’t going to miss the chance to catch Lisa if and when she came home. After she was finally dressed, she walked back out to the kitchen and glanced at her phone, her heart sinking even further.

Lisa (12:52PM): I’ll be late. Don’t wait up.

“Okay, alright. I deserve that,” she said to herself, anxiously fingering the corners of her phone.