CHAPTER EIGHT, band on the run

The seventh-grade dance is coming up and Gwen is dreading it

The seventh-grade dance is coming up and Gwen is dreading it. She was never fan of dances. She didn't like dressing up and she always thought dances were boring. The only high light of the dance was the fact she and Shawn agreed to go together. Only as friends of course. 

Gwen is currently at Chubbies with her two best friends, and her and Shawn are watching Cory trying to ask out a girl, who Gwen knew was named Sonia, to the dance. "Hi." Cory greets. "My name is Cory. The seventh-grade dance is Friday night, and I was wondering if you maybe-"

"I'm sorry." Sonia interrupts, sending him an apologetic smile. "My grandmother's sick."

Gwen covered her mouth to stifle a laugh, knowing that was a lie. She wasn't close friends with Sonia, but they did get along well, and they talked with each other when they were in the classes they shared. She had a feeling that Sonia didn't want to go to the dance with Cory and making up an excuse was her way of getting out of going to the dance with him.

Shawn glances at the curly-haired boy with an amused smile when Cory walked over to him and Gwen. "Any luck?"

"Apparently it's not a good time to be a grandmother." Cory responds. He points at different girls he had asked out to be his date to the dance. "Look, her grandmother's coughing phlegm, her grandmother's hacking blood, and her-"

"Woah." Shawn interrupts him. "I happen to know she has no grandmother."

"Yes," Cory slowly nods. "And somehow she blames me for her death."

Gwen couldn't help the laugh that escaped her lips and Cory looks at her with a small glare. "Sorry." Gwen chuckles. "Really," She raises her hands in defense and apologetically smiles as the curly-haired boy kept looking at her with a glare. "I'm sorry."

Cory rolls his eyes and sarcastically comments, "I'm glad my pain is amusing to you."

Shawn chuckles, glancing at her with amusement before looking at Cory while the curly-haired boy sat beside him and across from Gwen. "At least you can't sink any lower."

"Hey, you." The trio looks over in the direction they heard an unfamiliar voice to see an older boy with long hair talking to Cory. "You busy?"

Cory's eyes widen. "You're not gonna ask me to the dance, are you?"

The long-haired boy puts his guitar case in front of him and raises his eyebrows at Cory. "And what if I did?"

"I'd say pick me up at eight, but no slow dances." Cory nervously replied.

The long-haired boy chuckles. "Just watch these for a second." 

Cory nods. "I can do that." The long-haired boy handed the guitar case he held to Cory and his friend handed his guitar case to Shawn before the two of them walked away.

Cory looks at his two best friends. "I'm not going to this dance with anybody."

Shawn sets the guitar case on the table in front of him and rests his arms on it. "Why don't you just ask Topanga?"