CHAPTER FOUR, no homework, more freedom

"Okay, we're talking about The Grapes of Wrath," Jonathan said, holding the said book in his hands

"Okay, we're talking about The Grapes of Wrath," Jonathan said, holding the said book in his hands. He looks at the class. "Who can give us an overview of what we've read so far?"

Gwen looked at Cory with surprise when he raised his hand. Jonathan raises his eyebrows at Cory. "Muscle spasm, Matthews?"

"No, sir. I'd like to take a shot." Cory responded, lowering his arm.

"Okay, everybody, give him room." Jonathan voiced.

"Alright, I think the conclusion of the book shows the Joad's family been pretty much destroyed by the greedy farm bosses, but the author's telling us they still have their dignity, and they're going to fight on." Cory explained.

Gwen looks at him with a wide-eyed expression. Since when does Cory read an actual book? It seemed like she wasn't the only one surprised because as she looked at her uncle, she noticed he looked surprised as well.

"What just happened?" Jonathan asked.

"You're a disgrace to the entire back row." Shawn said to Cory.

Gwen reaches over to hit the back of his head, which causes him to wince and look at her with furrowed eyebrows. "That means you're calling me stupid, Shawnie." Shawn sends her an apologetic expression. "Sorry, G. Didn't mean to do that."

Gwen's lips forms into a smile when Shawn said that and she shakes her head. "It's okay. And he's not a disgrace." She looks at Cory with a smile. "Proud of you for actually reading a book."

Cory grins and glances at Shawn. "You hear that? She's proud of me." 

Shawn rolls his eyes playfully. "Yeah, whatever."

"Okay," Jonathan closes the book and gets off the desk he was sitting on so he was standing. "This story about migrant farmworkers in the 1930s shows us that powerful people will exploit the powerless until they organize and stand up for their rights." When Cory raises his hand again, Jonathan nods at him. "Yes."

"Yeah, the thing about the 1930s, will we have to know dates for the test?" Cory inquired.

"Well, the date is not as important as understanding the historical context of the whole struggle for worker's rights." Jonathan replied.

Shawn raises his hand, opening the book with his other hand. "Excuse me. What page is the historical context on?" Gwen rolled her eyes, not surprised that he asked that. 

"No, forget about the test." Jonathan responds. "I want you to learn about this book to add to your personal knowledge, not to just pass a test. I don't want to hear any more about the test." He furrowed his eyebrows with frustration when Cory raised his hand again. "What?"

"Uh, when is the test?" Cory questioned.

Jonathan shakes his head, looking annoyed. "What did I just say?"