New York

"Don't get on your Twitter right now. We were spotted at the airport together, and you're trending. There will be love, and some hate. Just avoid it, okay?"

The concern etched into his face made her heart skip a beat. This wasn't the first time she'd been trending on social media because of her association with him, but the way he still tried to protect her was adorable. Always concerned about her well-being.

"Not my first rodeo trending since I met you," she laughed, flopping down on his couch. The same one she had cried on just a few years prior.

"Emma," he sat down next to her, wrapping his arm around her shoulders. "I'm going to be asked about us again. What do you want me to say?"

"I-I don't know. We're best friends, but we've definitely had sex. But we're not really together. I don't even know what we are. Friends with benefits? I just don't know."

She closed her eyes, letting her head rest on his shoulder. What did she want him to say when inevitably asked about their relationship? She didn't even know what they were anymore. Just friends who had sex a couple times? Friends with benefits? She just didn't know.

"What was it you said in Romanian the other night? I know you called me darling at the end, but what else did you say?" Her heart pounded in her chest, her breath catching as she waited for his answer.

"Oh, dragă. I don't think you're ready to know what I said. You wouldn't accept it right now."

It felt like her heart stopped. Had she made a mistake throwing caution to the wind? Sure, they could never have a relationship, but had she messed everything up by caving to her own desires? What did he even mean by that?

She moved away from him, pulling her knees up to her chest. Nothing about this made any sense. He'd never shown interest in her before. Was he just bored? Lonely? Just wanted to get off a few times before he was done with her? What was happening? Her safe place with him was quickly becoming another area of uncertainty.

Sebastian pulled her back, holding her securely against him. His fingertips drew circles on her arm, calming her racing thoughts. It was familiar, something he had always done when her worries were getting the best of her.

"I suppose just say we're best friends. That you decided I needed to get away from everything for a bit and forced me to come back here with you," she shrugged. "I mean, that's what happened."

"Whatever you want, dragă," he whispered, kissing the top of her head. "Stop thinking so much. Those gears turning in your head are too loud."

Emma laughed, shoving him away as she stood up. Sometimes she hated how well he knew her. He always knew when something was bugging her, when her worries were getting to her. It was maddening.

"I'm going to take a shower, jerk. I smell like-"

"Sunshine," he interrupted, leaning back, his head back, staring up at his ceiling.

"That doesn't even have a smell! I need a shower. I'm going to take it. I'll be back in a bit."

"Whatever, go shower. I'll just sit here, bored out of my mind because my best friend would rather shower than hang out with me," he sighed, feigning despair.

"Oh, shut up, you weirdo!" she tossed over her shoulder before disappearing down the hall.