Best Friends

She sat there, eyes glued to her computer while she entered assessments for her students, her ears tuned into the TV. Her best friend was being interviewed, and she didn't want to miss it for the world. She knew he would call right after it aired to ask her at least a million questions about how it went, if he did okay. It would be a welcome call. They rarely spoke anymore, with his filming schedule taking him all over the world and filming at all hours of the day. She didn't mind calming his anxieties for him.

They had been best friends for 11 years. She could remember it like it was yesterday. The way she'd taken off on vacation after her split with her then fiancé. Going to karaoke at a random bar while there. The way this perfect stranger had gotten up to sing Hungry Eyes with her. How annoyed she had been. The way he smiled and winked before leaning in to whisper "You looked terrified up here by yourself."  Sure, she'd still given him an earful, but as apologetic as he was, he still smiled at her, laughed, and promised to never do it again.

He still does it. Every time he pops into Portland, just an hour from her home, she still finds him jumping in to belt out Hungry Eyes with her every chance he gets. A small smile lifts her lips as she thinks "I can't take him anywhere, can I?"

Her thoughts are interrupted by his voice on the TV. "She's amazing. I'm actually flying out right after this to surprise her. It's been too long, again."

The knock on her door sends her scrambling to tidy up her messy bun as she goes to answer the door.

"Who would that be this late?" she mutters to herself along the way.