Chapter 2

Edward stood in the felid of swaying lavenders. The scent was heady and perfuming the air. It was early spring, but the flowers were hardy in the cool Washingtonian weather.

It had been nearly two weeks since his conversation with Alice, and he was nowhere closer to an answer to her mysterious vision. He was not sure what he wanted with Bella. She wanted to be turned to be with him, but he could not bring himself to let her. She deserved to live a full life. None of his family had choices like that. It was either death or be turned, not just on a whim—an option to live given when he was at death door from Spanish influenza.

But Bella? She was alive and nowhere close to dying. It didn't sit well with him. He sighed an unnecessary breath.

The sun was starting to dip toward the horizon. He had been standing there nearly the entire day, turning things over in his mind. The place was his favorite escape, far up in the mountain, secluded and untouched. No one but he knew where it was. Perhaps Alice if she tries to follow her vision.

He heard a loud pop behind him, and suddenly the air was full of the smell of blood. It smelled strange and did not trigger his blood-lust. His golden eyes widened as he turned immediately to find a young man swaying a few feet away from him. Blood was flowing down his front, and he groaned, falling toward the ground.

Edward was by his side within less than a second and grasping the stranger, gently helping him down. He took in the young man, noting the messy black hair, unkempt appearance, and clothing was worn, dirty, and soaked in blood from a deep gash that traveled from the right of his collarbone to his left hip. Someone must have slashed him with a weapon, the gash was wide, and blood was pouring freely. He appeared to be thinner than he should be. There was a hollowness to his cheeks and a dark circle under his eyes.

But his eyes! Emerald orbs that seemed to glow staring up at him, the life fading away.

It was then he felt the jolt of his heart, the pull that he waited for so long. He gasped softly, realizing who this man was—his true mate.

The mysterious man stared at him. His mouth moved slightly; it took Edward to strain his super-hearing to catch what he said. "Cedric?"

"No..." Edward replied softly. He glanced down to the gash and clamped his hand over where the blood was flowing the heaviest. "It can't be... after all this time, and you're dying."

The young man stared back at Edward and rasped, "At least... I get to look upon something so beautiful."

Edward felt like crying, but he could not. He bit back a whimper. It can't be. He finally found his mate, and he was losing him. Venoms pooled in his mouth as he stares into the emerald orbs. "I can save you! But you have to decide!" The emerald-eyed man's brows furrowed slightly. Edward continued, "I'm a vampire. I can turn you! Say 'yes,' please!"

 I can turn you! Say 'yes,' please!"