Part 5: Irrational

Author Note: Another update today! x

Zoey narrates.

This morning, after Zara's irrational stunt last night, I go into her room, with a cup of coffee.

'Oh...hey, mom.' She says, quietly, sitting up in her bed, as I join her on the other side, pulling the blanket over us.

'This is for you.' I say, handing her the cup.

'Thanks.' She says.

At first, I didn't really know what to say. I was still mad at Zara's behaviour, but at some point I had to start treating her like an adult.

'Mom, I'm sorry.' She says, to my surprise.

'What I did last night was irresponsible and not fair on you and dad at all. You guys have given us so much and have worked so hard for us to have the life that we do, and by me undermining your rules whilst living here...it's just not right.' She adds, and I nod.

'Thank you. I didn't mean to get so angry at you.' I reply.

'I know, but you were right to. If I want to be treated like an adult, then I also have to behave like one. And that was immature of me.' She says.

'I'm glad you've learnt your lesson. I'm just trying to prepare you for every possible college scenario.' I say.

'I think I'll just have to learn as I go.' She says, as I smile and stroke her head.

We spend a little longer chatting together, before I hear a knock on her bedroom door, and Aaron enters.

'Oh...should I come in or are we still in world war Zoey?' He asks, as Zara laughs and I roll my eyes.

'You can come in, dad.' Zara says, as he sits on the chair beside her bed.

'What do you want, Aaron, I'm trying to talk to my daughter.' I say, as he laughs.

'Actually, whilst I have you both here, I wanted to talk to you about something.' Zara says, as we listen on intently.

'I wanted to invite someone to your anniversary party this weekend, that aunty Ana has planned. He's...well...he's kind of my boyfriend.' She says, cautiously, as I look at an uncomfortable Aaron.

'Boyfriend?!' He says, a little too high pitched.

'Dad, wait please?' Zara says.

'You have a boyfriend? How come you never told us?' I say, softly.

'Forget Zoey! Why didn't you tell me?! And who is he? Where does he live? How did you meet? What are his parents like? Why do you need a boyfriend? You are way too young!' Aaron says, flooding her with questions.

'Okay, babe, calm down. I've got this.' I say, turning toward Zara.

'Sweetie, this is so great. Your first boyfriend!' I say, hugging her.

'Zoey?!' Aaron says, throwing his hands up, confused.

'I didn't tell you guys because it's all still fairly new.' Zara says.

'What's his name?' I ask.

'Nathaniel...we met at this party....I really like him.' She says, looking down, as I smile.

'Honey, that's so sweet. Yes, definitely invite him this weekend! We'd love to meet him!' I say, as she hugs me excitedly, whilst Aaron glares at me.

_____

Later that day, as I cook in the kitchen, Aaron follows me around, pestering me with thoughts.

'She can't have a boyfriend. She's too young.' He says, folding his arms, as I gesture him to move out of my way.

'She's 18. We started dating when I was 18?' I say, laughing.

'Did we?' He asks, confused.

'Yes, Aaron. We did.' I reply.

'Okay well if I could go back, I'd say you were too young.' He says, firmly, making me laugh.

'No wonder Dre never liked me.' He says to himself.

'Oh, also, what if she's active? What if she gets pregnant?' He asks, sitting at the breakfast bar and pointing at me as if to prove a point.

'What would you do then, Zoey?' He adds, questioningly.

'Erm, you got me pregnant when I was in college? Remember? And also, would you stop being so irrational and thinking the worst. She's growing up. And......I think I've taught her well enough to protect herself.' I say.

'Look, you were the one saying yesterday that she'll find a guy to keep her balanced in her life. So what is your problem now?' I ask.

'I meant when she's like 21 or over. Not 18.' He says, as I sigh.

I lean over the table and hold his hand.

'Babe, you've got to calm down. I know this is hard for you and I know she's your little girl. But why don't we take it slow? Let's meet him this weekend and go from there.' I suggest, as he reluctantly nods.

'And please, don't try and purposely sabotage him?' I say, as he laughs.

'Fine, I won't. Anyways, this weekend is all about us. About you. And nothing can take away from that.' He says, as I go over to him and he holds me by the waist, close to him.

'Our 20 year wedding anniversary. God, that's crazy.' I say, stroking the back of his head.

'Now, you know I'm not usually materialistic...' I say, as he narrows his eyes.

'Okay, I am...but did you get the thing that I wanted?' I ask.

'You'll just have to wait and see.' He says, smirking.

'But I have no patience!' I say, holding his collar and pulling him closer to me.

'Tell me, please.' I whisper.

He thinks for a little while, and I almost believe he might reveal it.

'No.' He says, kissing my lips, as I sigh.

'Fine. I don't love you anymore.' I say, turning to leave, but he holds my wrist firmly.

I look at him and see the hurt in his eyes.

'Don't say that ever again. Please.' He says, looking away, as I go back over to him, holding his face.

I instantly feel bad.

'Hey, look at me?' I say, as he resists, but finally does.

'I'm sorry, I won't say that again.' I say, kissing his lips firmly.

'I love you.' He whispers.

'I love you so much.' I reply.

_____