Part 2: A Parenting Win

Zoey narrates.

I wait in the driver's seat of the car, impatiently checking the time.

'Aaron, Zara, AJ?! Get in the car. Now!' I shout, rolling down the window, as I see them shuffling down the path, AJ pulling his massive art project down the street, Zara taking a selfie and Aaron doing up his tie.

They finally get into the car, as I glare at them.

'What?' Aaron asks.

'You all took so long! I got ready way before you guys!' I say, as they laugh.

'It's not funny.' I say, trying not to smile.

'Whatever, lets just go.' I say, as I start driving off.

As we're driving, we have our usual morning family catch up.

'AJ, sweetie? I saw your art project. It looks incredible!' I say, as I see him smile.

'Yeah, it's not bad actually.' Zara adds, mid text.

'Thanks. I worked really hard on it. I think creative stuff might actually be my thing.' He says, as I take a quick glance at Aaron, who smiles proudly.

'Oh yeah, by the way, I have to do an internship type thing, and I was wondering if I could do a couple days at your workplace?' Zara asks.

'Of course, honey.' Aaron and I both say, simultaneously.

'She was talking to me.' He says, as I roll my eyes.

'Well, this is awkward. See the thing is...I think you both have amazing jobs. Like dad is a CEO and mom works at Vogue. Freaking Vogue. So, I think you guys should choose between yourselves.' Zara says.

'Why don't you try both out? You could do a day at your mom's office and a day in mine?' Aaron suggests.

'Yeah, and obviously because your my daughter, you'll enjoy mine more.' I add, as Aaron shakes his head.

'That sounds great. Thanks guys!' Zara replies, as I smile triumphantly as I feel Aaron looking at me.

A little while later, after dropping the kids off, we arrive in the parking lot at Aaron's workplace.

'I think this will be good for Zara. Hopefully it inspires her.' He says, as I nod.

'So what are you going to do with your day off?' He asks, placing his hand on my leg.

'Nothing really. Just going to meet the girls for brunch and then I'll probably do a bit of shopping.' I say.

He leans forward and kisses my lips softly.

'I don't want to leave.' He says, retreating back to his seat.

'I don't want you to leave.' I reply.

He takes my hand and kisses it.

'You should go now. Everyone will be wondering where you are.' I say.

'Zoey, I'm the boss. No one cares where I am.' He says, and I laugh.

'Okay, fine, I'll leave so you can go to brunch club.' He says, defeatedly, but smiling.

He leans in and kisses my lips once more and then my cheek.

'I love you.' He says.

'I love you too.' I reply, as he leaves the car, and I wave at him as he goes into work.

_____

A few days later, I'm working from home, sitting on the couch and replying to emails, when Zara and Aaron arrive home, laughing.

'Hey, what's up? How'd it go?' I ask, knowing Zara has now spent a day at Aaron's office, and mine.

'Really good, I think.' Aaron replies.

'Oh my god, it was amazing! I had so much fun getting to know everyone, and they're even using my ideas in their newest ad campaign. Thanks so much, dad.' Zara says, hugging Aaron from the side.

'Your welcome, sweetie.' He says, kissing the top of her head.

'Mom, I loved working at your place and it's incredible and I'm constantly inspired by what you do and how hard you work....but if you don't mind, I think I'm gonna do my internship at Johnson & Jackson, if that's alright?' Zara says, cautiously.

'Yeah, no. That sounds great, baby. I'm proud of you.' I say, trying to hide my disappointment.

'Thanks.' She says, smiling, as she heads upstairs, and Aaron sits beside me on the couch.

'Honest truth?' I say.

'Hit me with it.' He replies.

'I'm a little bit upset that she chose you over me.' I say.

'Zoey, she didn't choose me. She chose my job. She's really good at it.' He says, trying to reassure me.

'No, I know. I just always thought she'd be like me. And that she'd aspire for a career in fashion like mine.' I say, frowning.

Aaron cups my face.

'Zoey, we always said that we'd support our kids no matter what paths they choose to take. Yeah, we made them, but they are not us. That does not mean they're going to do what we did.' He says, and I nod.

'And anyways, she might not even like advertising, who knows? The good thing is, is that she's learning and she's thinking about the world around her.' He adds.

'That's all we can ask for.' I say, leaning in to him, as he hugs me.

'And besides, there can only ever be one Zoey Jackson, global editor-in-chief at Vogue. Why try and create another?' He says, grinning, as I can't help but smile too.

We spend the rest of the afternoon cuddled together on the sofa, talking and laughing, before the kids join us too, and life momentarily feels complete.

A parenting win, you could say.

_____