•1• kenma

1 y e a r   b e f o r e

"Kenma, darling?" His voice says, I glance up from my text book to see his face painted with concern. "Yeah?" I ask, a strand of hair falling into my face. "Calm down. You're doing it again" he says. I glance down at my fingers, they look like they've been mauled by a bear. One of them was bleeding. "I'll be fine, kuroo. Don't worry." I give him a brief smile. Returning to my notes as he gets back to whatever television show he's watching today.  "..Kenma?" He once again says. I sigh. "Yes kuroo?".
"I love you"
"Love you too"

I lean my head down on the table, just to rest my eyes for a second.. or a minute.. or maybe an hour.

I wake up to the sound of my alarm. I slept three hours, which is good for me. I notice my phone held up by my wall in front of me, I study the screen and realise that it's kuroo. He's still on call, asleep, but on call. It makes me smile.

"Kuroo" I whisper, trying to wake him up. "Kuroo!" I say louder. He jumps up. "STAY BACK!!" He screams, I giggle at his sillyness. "Kuroo it's just me you dumbass."
"Oh shit thank the lord" he sighed in relief, noticing the phone on his nightstand. We both end the call and get ready for school. I grab my bag and head out.

I walk down kuroos driveway to pick him up, as I walk up to the door I here his dog, Ralph, at the door. I knock at the door, waiting a second before a woman with long black hair opens the door and greets me with a wide smile. "Kozume !! Tetsurou will be down in a second, he's just fixing his hair. Go up and get him if you want!"
"Okay" I smile at her and head up the stairs. I knock on the door, and walk in without waiting for an answer. "WAIT HANA IM CHANGING" He yells.
"It's just me." I say, he turns around, his shirt in hand as he smiles and hugs me.
"Hi, darling." He greets, I say hi back and plant a small kiss on his temple.

"How has it taken you this long to get dressed I woke you up an hour ago" I said, glancing at his messy room. It made me cringe every time I saw it. "I fell back asleep" Kuroo admitted, sliding his shirt on and doing up the buttons.
"Loser"
"Wow, I love you too" He rolled his eyes. I chuckled.
"Love you" I inched closer to him, my hands resting on my waist as he leans down to give me a kiss. As we collide, I button up his shirt. "If you're not ready in five minutes I'll take Ralph instead of you" I joke, he smiles and pulls his jumper over his head. "Ready!"

We sit together in class, his arm weaved around my shoulder as  he silently reads over my notes. "you misspelt something" he corrects, pointing to the question about DNA. He took my pen and scribbled down the word 'Deoxyribonucleic Acid' in his messy handwriting. What a nerd. I continue to scan over my notes as kuroo helps me. He's always been the smart one, and I admire him for that.

The teacher clears her throat rather loudly to get everyone's attention. "Today we will be doing a study on cancer. I.." I stopped paying attention after that, I hate biology it can piss off for all I care. Kuroo, however, was gonna be the next Einstein. Anyone could see it from a mile away. I mindlessly jot down notes about stem cell research and lymphocytes whatever the fuck they are. Something to do with blood cells I think.

The bell rings, it feels louder than usual. So is the chatter of the class. When I stand up I'm suddenly all too aware of my breathing. "Kenna, you okay?" Kuroo says. I take a deep breath and nod. Me and kuroo walk down the hall, I head faint whispering and I suddenly feel like all eyes on me. Are they whispering about me and kuroo? Or just me? I mean, I am the only openly gay kid in my class, so it's not unheard of for people to talk about me. I'm just.. I don't know, especially anxious today.

"Kuroo, I need to sit down." I say, my breathing getting short. He nods and takes me outside. The cold air hits my face, I tense up and lean back on the wall. It's much quieter out here. I slide down onto the ground, my head on my knees as tears well up in my eyes. "Kenma, what's wrong?" His hand rests on my shoulder lovingly. I take another breath. "I don't know, I just .. it's all very overwhelmimg I guess. Too loud, too warm, Its just a lot. I'll be fine in five minutes. We can start walking to class now." I say, standing up as I regain control of my breath. We walk down to the set department as I admire the work on the walls, all very classical and abstract pieces. I'm glad we have art, it's my favourite subject. I get to paint whatever I want and I find it very relaxing.