More words are exchanged and then we bow and salute each other again. They return to the crowd of their people and Lorelei rushes over and hugs me fiercely. 

"How was the journey?" I ask her. She offers me a classic sparkling smile. 

"It was tricky, but we weren't followed and everybody is safe and accounted for," she reports. I feel my muscles tense nervously as I remember that our journey isn't over yet. I didn't understand how I hadn't realised before. The only way into L'Manburg from this part of the border was through the SMP. 

"The whole country will see us when we enter," I say nervously. The SMP was still very full of people even if L'Manburg was evacuated. We decided it would be safer if we didn't move everyone at the same time, then after moving so many towns on the outskirts we decided the city would remain as it is unless something had to change. 

"It will be good for morale, don't get cold feet now after you rode all this way," she teases and I smile feeling grateful. Lorelei knew how to get me to relax a little.  

"The camps for the army are in L'Manburg, but you'll have to go through the SMP to get there."

"Then we'll go straight there," Lorelei winks. 

"Y/N!" I hear Myles call. I wave to him and smile wider when I see Lian is with him. Her familiar motherly face and relaxed stride are a sight for sore eyes. I hug them both although Lian's is a bit more crushing. 

"How are Ting and Jade?" I ask her, Lian chuckles. 

"Jade is caring for them both at home with the other young women," I'm surprised even though I know it's the most reasonable answer. Jade just seems so young. 

"How many do you think have come?" I hadn't been able to go with Lorelei or Myles on any of their journies back to the village. I wish I could have been there to introduce myself to Lian's people properly. 

"Nearly the whole village has come to help. Excluding the elderly, those who cannot fight and out teenagers, this is everybody," I feel my heart lighten with hope. This was incredible for us, that so many people want to help. 

"I owe you, Lian, your expertise in the field will become invaluable," I pull a face that makes the three of them laugh. 

"It's the right thing to do," Lian smiles kindly. 

"Ting and Jade wished they could have seen you and Ranboo, but they understood it wasn't the time," Myles says. I feel myself soften at the memory of Ranboo and Ting playing together so well whilst we visited. 

"They're brave for living alone like that without you Lian," I note and she hums in agreement. 

"We raise our children as warriors. Jade is still in training, you know this, being at home is the least of her problems."

Lian is called away by Tai Shu and so Lorelei and Myles decided we should keep moving. I pushed Cosette and the crow off my saddle and mounted Percy again. We started our slow march. Tai Shu rides a large black horse at my side and his advisors ride their own horses behind us. 

As we ride Tai Shu asks questions about the SMP and L'Manburg. Mostly army specific stuff but we talk a bit about the people too. 

We march down the prime path. Now that the sun had risen, everybody was awake. It's not long before we're pushing through the typical SMP crowds. People clap and cheer, leaning out of their windows waving white and yellow handkerchiefs and throwing flowers. I stay formal and serious sitting tall in the saddle. I knew the crowds would see my crown and assume what they like, but for now, I had more pressing matters.