42 || Lightning

TW: SWEARING, YELLING, DEATH, TRAUMA, CRYING

Wrote this quickly, apologies for the errors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everything in me screamed to push further, to get home as fast as possible. The voices were so loud I struggled to hear anything else. As soon as the End was behind us they roared. I tried not to show it, but I noticed Dream's closeness and Techno's knowing gaze. 

I lean deeper into Ranboo's side. He couldn't sleep, not that he needed to. He offered to be on watch all night. It so happened that my mind was too busy for sleep as well. 

We had stopped at the edge of the first of giants, horses blowing harshly with wide nostrils sucking in as much air as possible. Backs slick with sweat from the gallop and hooved dancing with adrenaline. And still, I wanted to go faster. 

Ranboo sighs next to me and I feel the voices force a question to the surface. 

"How are you feeling?" We hadn't spoken enough. 

"About the End?" 

"Yeah."

Ranboo sighs again, this time gentler and with less of a puff. It was more of a long breath than a sigh. The tip of his tail flicks and his ears twitch. 

"I don't know, it's nice to know I was loved because I was taken away," I had told him what Kritana said as we walked back to the portal. I gave out the letters too, mine burnt a steadily growing hole in my pocket. The others didn't understand how I'd managed to bring the letters. If I'm honest, I don't either. 

"Would you ever go back?"
"No," he shakes his head for emphasis and I frown confusedly.

"Why?"

"Because it's not my home 

"But you were born there."

"That place isn't my home. It's the people that make my home," I look up at him intrigued. He had a faraway expression on his face, eyes glossy with an image nobody else could see. 

"In the overworld, I have you and Michael and Tubbo. That's all the home I'll ever need," I melt when he smiles sincerely. He was right, in so many ways. I don't think I've ever had a place to call home, but I've had people to call home instead. 

"You make my home too," he chuckles as I wrap my arms around him tightly. Although we laughed, we knew we were being completely serious. 

Ranboo's light expression darkened as he spotted my bag. I look at it, lying securely by Dream. The corner of the revival book stuck out the side. I couldn't help but be reminded of how early we would wake tomorrow morning to get home quickly. 

"How are you feeling about the revival?" Ranboo's voice is gentle. It silently speaks you don't have to say if you don't want to. I shake my head and eye the book again. Anxiety builds in my tummy like bad food and I quickly crawl to the bag and tuck the book in full. I lean back on Ranboo and watch the spot where the book had once been. 

"I can't wait to bring Tommy back."

****

The clouds had gathered overnight, I had been watching them until I fell asleep. I nearly kicked myself when I woke up and saw that everybody else was getting ready. 

That didn't matter now. 

Percy's speeding strides are confident and reliable. He knew we were heading to the house. The wind whips my face as I kick him faster. Carl and Techno lead the group and we were mere seconds behind them. My hands are frozen from the cold wind and the bag holding the revival book bumps rhythmically on my back. I wonder if it will bruise.