Chapter 8

January passed in agony, and so did the first few weeks of February. If anything, Adeline's crush on Potter grew, and Potter became more reluctant to even acknowledge her existence.

And it was the worst feeling Adeline had felt, but in a special way. Because when dealing with her father, it was a sickening fear she could learn how to avoid by behavior. It had never felt good. But being with Potter felt good. And there was no way to change or avoid the feelings she had.

If there was a positive, however, Adeline grew closer to Pansy, Adeline and Blaise. Instead of retreating to her dorm after only a few minutes' conversation, she stayed up and played exploding snaps with them, which Adeline was quite bad at. And though competitive, it was more fun than she'd had with them in years. At least since the days of vacationing in France when they were young children.

But laughing with them felt nothing like laughing with Potter, which Adeline had wrapped her head around that she'd probably never get to do again.

Four days before the Second Task, Adeline walked back to her dorm after dinner, wiping her hands within themselves because chip crumbs covered them. No matter how many times she finished eating, telling herself the utensils had a purpose, Adeline became addicted to eating with her hands; it was just so convenient.

Damn Potter for teaching her it.

Adeline headed to the boy's bathrooms on the first floor (missing the sign completely) and lathered soap between her fingers. Then, a stall door opened behind her, causing Adeline to look up.

Potter stepped out, and their eyes met in the mirror. Potter froze, then rolled his eyes and picked the furthest sink from Adeline.

Adeline continued washing her hands. At the moment, she was going to completely ignore that she was in the boys' bathroom, because there were more important things. To talk to him, not to talk to him... She looked in the mirror's reflection to find all the stalls empty.

Adeline swallowed, her hands running under the water. "I know I'm not supposed to talk to you, but good luck." Potter said nothing. When she turned off her sink and went to wipe her hands, she decided she had to do whatever it took to get this mad feeling to go away. "I like you, Potter," Adeline gulped. "I fell for you. I was supposed to make you fall for me, but I fell for you, too."

"The task is in four days," Potter spoke through his teeth. "If you think I don't know what you're doing—"

"I'm not trying to distract you, I promise. I mean it. I fancy you."

At first, it was like Potter was going to ask really, as if he was hopeful, but then his face fell and he looked at her in a way that made Adeline flinch. "That's your fault. Deal with it."

"I'm so sorry. I want to make it up to you."

"Truly?"

"Yes."

"Then keep not talking to me. That's what I want. If you do that, then maybe I'll forgive you by the time we graduate. Maybe."

"Potter—"

"Leave me alone. I mean it."

Adeline's face turned red, her chest searing with the failure. "I want the snitch socks back."

Potter crossed his arms. "I burned them."

Adeline gasped. "You arsehole!"

"Me? I'm the arsehole here?"

"Those were nice socks."

"From a bad person. Why would I want to keep them?"

"They're still nice socks, to hell with who gave them to you."