23. {suppressed memories}

Start from the beginning

every time melissa offered to do a routine check, indah quickly declined and gave a weak excuse. however, melissa never let it go. she hated seeing the young girl look so unwell without a reason why.

"what is it?" moonee questioned.

"you've forgotten again?" dr zhao asked, shaking her head in disappointment.

"there's so much." moonee groaned.

"condition terminal?" the surgeon questioned, the injection full of mercury already in it's hand.

"no, no." dr zhao shook her head, "she's just being difficult. stop messing around, moonee."

"okay." the child frowned.

indah walked to the tape recorder, which sat a few meters away from moonee and switched it on. "third of march, 2004. test one: air manipulation."

moonee waited for the signal- her mother giving her a nod. when it finally happened, she raised her right arm. just like she was taught a few weeks prior, moonee began making circular motions with her fingers.

the only thing on her mind right now was the air particles, nothing else. just like her mother wanted, moonee began making small rings of air. dr zhao watched in fascination as the rings moved around the air.

"incredible." indah gaped, finally feeling proud.

however, as a seven-year-old, moonee got distracted easily. she lost concentration of the rings of air. the began to expand, making a strong gust of air.

"moonee."

"yeah?" she asked, glancing at her mother.

"moonee, focus!" dr zhao yelled.

all the items on the table began to shake, some sliding off. moonee watched in confusion as a gust of wind carried through the air.

"stop it!"

"condition terminal."

"no! it's not! moonee, make it go away." indah ordered watching the recorder's stand shake.

"i don't know how!" moonee yelled over the sound of the wind.

"get her out of here."

before she knew it, the pathologist and the geneticist had come up behind her. they grabbed her arms and pulled her off the chair. finally, the air had calmed down, but moonee began to thrash around in discomfort.

"i'm sorry!" she cried out, but her mother had already looked away, "no! no! i'm sorry."

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

when moonee opened her eyes, everyone and liam were standing above her. she massaged her eyes and groaned at the headache she was obtaining. theo leaned forward and helped her sit up properly.

"liam... when did you get here?" moonee asked.

"that's the first thing you ask when you gain consciousness?" stiles quizzed.