Untitled Part 12

With no further attacks everyone began to relax a bit. Life went back to somewhat normal except for the training regimens. As a whole we were improving daily. Our problem was we were only good in the training yard with controlled circumstances. None of us had ever had a real fight. Plans were made for more practical experience.

We formed two teams and met on the beach. Each team picked a color and we slipped on a scarf in that chosen color, that way there would be no mistake between enemy and friend. The game was as old as time, get the other teams flag and be pronounced the victor. Each team could strategize where to hide their flag. In this version though, there were no rules. Human form or feline form, magical powers and straight combat, all were on the table.

We split our team into sections, offense and defense. I was sent to defend our flag. With my love of tree climbing I was a natural for flag guard. I found a good tall palm tree and climbed up to wait. I had a view of the entire beach and could see any possible invaders. I could see our offensive crew working on an invisibility spell behind a rock outcropping. Success was not to be theirs yet, as I could see a three legged bobcat, a torso less tigress, and a headless ocelot. Unless they were planning on scaring away the defenders, it looked like they were going to have to try a different approach. I saw no one from the other team approaching, and that worried me. Our flag was planted directly beneath me and I was confident that I could defend anything they threw at me. If I could see it, I gulped.

From out of thin air came a volley of screeching orange birds. They were fierce little suckers with talons as sharp as razors. They flew around and around me ripping at my fur. I roared with rage. Every time I swiped a paw at one of them, the rest would aim for the remaining paws and try to knock me out of the tree. With so much focus on those d**n birds the flag ceased to be my priority. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Abe in human form, slinking in amongst the rocks, creeping in closer and closer to my flag. I whirled a flaming palm frond at his oversized head and knocked him on his a**. He didn't move again.

The screeching birds disappeared as fast as they came, only to be replaced by torrential rains and thick fog. Impressed as I was by this skill, I hated water and the rain pelting my fur burned when it landed on me. I ran down the slippery tree trunk and shifted. All my time in trees at home had given me loads of practice with my claws so I was able to descend safely. Thankfully I had tied a long sleeved t-shirt to my hind leg so I was able to keep from having the rain burning my human skin. Ducking under a rock ledge, I tried my own hand at manipulating the weather. I imagined winds driving the rain away from me and mentally pushed. To my surprise it worked! The rain blew away in the opposite direction and I was able to see two small bobcats on the prowl.

When they came across a semi-conscious Abe, they quickly shifted and helped him into a sitting position. I still had enough advantage to see that he was still groggy. They got him aware enough to shift, knowing he would heal faster that way. Whoever these bobcats were, they were pretty crafty. They hadn't seen me yet, but they could see our flag seemingly unattended. I am sure they thought they had a line at a quick victory.

Think again.

I unleashed a swarm of bees toward them. Not golden, as I didn't want to kill them but real enough to do some damage to young bobcat underbellies. They let out tortured howls to rival the werewolves. I almost felt sorry for them. They abandoned Abe, whose tiger form didn't seem to be bothered by the bees, and ran for the water to rid themselves of the evil stinging insects. For the moment my flag was secure.

Apparently my team's first layer of defense was thinning, because down the beach I could see at least five werecats headed my way, wearing the opposing teams colored scarves around their necks. I could see no allies coming to help me in any direction. This was looking bad. I sent a blinding light to slow down their approach, and messaged my team to hurry and send back up.

The light held them only momentarily. I shifted back as they approached and growled a warning, "Stay back, or I will hurt you." My confidence wasn't there. I knew they could scent fear.

They quickly surrounded me and took vicious swipes at my unprotected back side. No matter which way I twisted and turned one werecat or another would get in an unanswered shot. That hurt like hell but it would take more than a pound of flesh to bring me down. I could not think of one spell to do to help me out of this painful predicament. The only thing I could think was, "Think! Do Something!" It wasn't helping.

When three more cats leapt down from the rocks, a knowing swag to their movements. I knew I was doomed and so did they. My team had about two minutes and the flag would be in enemy hands. I needed to learn how to fight under pressure. All my training did me no good if I was a wreck under fire. It was so much easier in the training arena. I would take this defeat humbly, it would make me a better leader.

All at once, everything stopped. "Game Over!" A voice in my mind said.

I was bleeding from multiple places, my stamina was waning and I was more than willing to cooperate.

We all looked around for the reason the game was called. I could see nothing but panting cats of all varieties, most with obvious wounds. Had someone been mortally injured? It was so hard to be careful not to go too far in battle games. I know I didn't think to hold back while I was trying to stop Abe. It was very possible that someone else had the same problem with a less lucky outcome. Those around me looked bloody and bruised but not in danger of death. Abe had sauntered over to the group, back in human form, still dazed but starting to steady. His goofy smile told me he had no clue what was going on.

Whatever happened, I knew we grew stronger as a whole today. I hope that didn't come at the expense of life. I definitely knew I had some kinks to work on in my personal battle readiness. No one knew what to do next, so we just stayed put. Conversation was lively as small skirmishes were discussed. The disappearing act of my team caused belly aching laughter as it was retold in great detail.

The group turned as one to see Dakari, flag raised high in triumph, come over the rise.

I looked over at a scowling Abe, a devilish smirk on my face," Loser buys ice cream," and stalked off.

Abe was a sore loser, and ice cream wasn't an option. It was time for celebration for some and reflection for all. We reviewed our responses and brainstormed how we could have been more efficient in all situations. Why hadn't I thought to use the weather while I was being mauled. It was frustrating to know I simply stopped thinking. I know I need much more practice, but I found I wasn't the only one to panic under pressure.

We gathered at Grandfather's estate to treat our wounds and practice our healing powers. Healing skills were important but often got overlooked. Uncle Peter was an excellent healer, he had most of us on the mend in no time. Those who showed talent in this area would need to work more with him. I could tell Uncle Peter, who usually didn't come to the training yard, was feeling his importance grow, he began to teach any and all who would listen.

It was fun to play at war, but the real thing loomed ahead, an ominous date with ancient prophecies. We had let our guard down, forgetting that the "real" attack could come at any time. Every peaceful day we had, was a day to improve, a chance to hopefully survive and save our race.

We played this game a few more times over the summer. Each time we changed the teams up but not once did Dalya and I end up on the same side. She enjoyed being the leader of her squad and often remarked to anyone who would listen that she would make a better leader than I did. At that point I would have agreed.

The weather had started to change and I knew that my three month respit was nearly over. I dreaded going home to take up my cross for another long school year. I vowed to find a way to make things better, without being a snitch.