seven, a strange garden

Start from the beginning

     Grover brayed mournfully upon hearing her words. "Tin cans... a perfectly good bag of tin cans."

Sheila returned to the back, not wanting any interactions with them until they stopped acting like this. Another lighting source appeared, but this one came from a grey butterfly flying out of its hiding place in her hair. A smile made its way on her face as she watched the glowing grey wings, a colour she hadn't seen yet. The butterfly brought a soft breeze as it flew high up, whispering the way in Sheila's ears. She spoke it out loud for the others to hear, and Grover led the group since he was at the front. 

     It was a dark path, twisted trees surrounding them and a sour smell invading the air, but it wasn't what put Sheila on edge. She took even more careful steps now, sensing a magical source nearby. It was dissipated around the woods and enchanted whoever was close enough to perceive it. Glancing at Grover, she wondered if he also sensed the shift in the air. He didn't seem to.

From behind her, Sheila caught on to the words Percy and Annabeth exchanged. While the latter thanked him for coming back, complimenting his bravery, Percy replied with four simple words, yet those words caused a weird feeling to spread through Sheila's body.

     "We're a team, right?" Percy asked, shortly looking at Sheila.

Percy had noticed her strange behaviour since they escaped the bus. And again, there was this curiosity he felt toward her. She was so closed off that he couldn't even ask her something or at least try to find one thing about who she was and what she was like. Capture the Flag didn't help his curiosity either. Sheila had avoided him for days and complained about him, but that night, instead of aiding her team, she tried to protect him against Clarisse. But it was her magic which intrigued him most. 

     Annabeth's voice made him look back at her. "It's just that if you died..." she started. "Aside from the fact that it would suck for you, it would mean the quest was over. This may be my only chance to see the real world."

This caused Sheila's steps to falter, though she kept moving forward. Annabeth's wish to see the world was justified. Unlike Sheila, she didn't have parents taking her on road trips and showing her incredible things. It was something Sheila knew she would never understand, and for her part, she didn't have the same envy. She didn't feel the urge to explore. That urge was stolen from her when she was seven and saw Death for the first time.

     The thunderstorm had passed as Sheila glanced up, yet its clouds stayed behind and covered the stars. While Sheila liked the shadows, she wished there were stars to remind her where she was. The city glow had faded far behind, causing them to be in complete darkness. Sheila's butterfly remained in sight. Grover continued to follow it, but Sheila stayed with Annabeth. Dealing with Percy's questions alone couldn't be pleasant. 

"You two haven't left Camp Half-Blood since you were seven?" Percy asked Sheila and Annabeth with a tone showing sympathy.

     Annabeth shook her head. "No... only short field trips. My dad—"

"The history professor."

     "Yeah. It didn't work out for me to live at home. I mean, Camp Half-Blood is my home," Annabeth explained quickly. Sheila hardly kept up with her rushed voice. It seemed as if the girl was afraid something might stop her words.

When Percy glanced at Sheila, she knew he was questioning her, too. "I didn't join the camp by choice. It was forced upon me," she sighed. "My mum, she..."

     Each time she tried telling her story, her voice caught up in her throat. It gave Sheila a need for the tears to be freed. For her emotions to be expressed. But she couldn't allow herself a breakdown, not during the quest her best friend desperately craved.