Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Pete

I was a little surprised that Avery invited me up to his apartment when I dropped him off for the night. I'm pretty sure he initially wanted to take things slow, and I was fine with that. The more I got to know him, the more I felt like he was worth waiting for. Unlike the pull I had felt towards Jaxon, what I felt for Avery was calmer and more relaxed. The mate bond held an urgency that was practically irresistible - there was no denying the attraction of the bond. With Avery, I felt drawn to him in a different way. It wasn't irresistible, but it was exciting, nevertheless. I really want to know more about him; I think he could be good for me. He makes me see things in a different way than I've ever looked at them before. When I listen to him talk about things, I get to see an alternate viewpoint than what I was raised with. His viewpoint is decidedly human, and I've never thought about anything from that viewpoint.

This must be how relationships are for humans; the uncertainty, hesitancy and nerves that you just don't feel with a mate bond. At the same time, there's a certain amount of excited anticipation as well. An element of risk, that you're putting yourself out there for someone who may, or may not, reciprocate what you're feeling for them. Being in this position myself now makes me a little more sympathetic to humans. It's a bit surprising their relationships are half as successful as they are sometimes.

Our date had gone well, if I wasn't mistaken. Wandering through all those shops, holding his small hand in mine, was exhilarating. Even without the mate bond, I could feel my heart beating faster every time he looked up and smiled that enormous smile of his. His eyes sparkled with his amusement as we bantered back and forth like a couple of schoolboys. I've found over the last few months that Avery is intelligent and capable of holding his end of the conversation, no matter what the subject. If he's not sure about something, he admits it, just as he will firmly hold to his position when the subject is one he's familiar with. It doesn't matter what we could be discussing, I love the sound of his voice and his bubbly laughter.

We commented about different items in the stores as we browsed as well as discussing our favorite books and movies. He's into romantic books and movies (that doesn't surprise me); I'm more into action films and don't read all that much since I'd rather be doing something active. I'd be willing to watch romantic movies with him though, I decided; anything to see that unconscious smile he sometimes wears that's different than the wide-open smile he flashes when he's chattering about his favorite things. It's more pensive, but very sweet at the same time.

We sat at his counter drinking coffee and continued our conversation from earlier. Once we'd finished our coffee, he blushed and asked me if I would like to spend the night.

"I'd like that very much." I whispered, looking into his eyes. "Are you sure about this though? I'm willing to wait until you're ready if you need more time."

"I'm sure," he replied, taking my hand and leading me over to his bed that was against the wall in the far corner of the room.

He pointed to the bathroom and told me that there was a spare toothbrush in the cabinet. After I finished in there, he went in before climbing into bed next to me when he came out. Seeing him like this, I had to restrain myself from ravishing his beautiful body; I didn't want to hurt him. I must say though, when we lay side-by-side after it was over, that it was one of the best nights of my life.

---

I woke up the following morning with Avery still asleep, cuddled up with his back against my chest. I lay still, watching his beautiful face as he slept; I didn't want to disturb him since we'd been up quite late - or quite early, depending on how you look at it. Not to mention how much I loved looking at his sleeping face. I smiled to myself as I remembered the night before. It was fantastic and I hope that there will be many more nights like that in the future. It felt right holding him in my arms as we lay there. So much has changed in my life since I admitted that I'm bisexual; I finally feel free, something I never thought would be possible. I have regrets, I always will, but I can finally accept myself as I am. It wasn't too long before Avery began to stir in my arms.

Once I was sure he was awake, I spoke up. "How are you feeling this morning? I hope I wasn't too rough on you last night."

"I'm good." He replied with a small smile. "I'm a little sore, I think, but it's not bad and it was definitely worth it."

He wiggled around so that his face rested against my chest and ran his fingers along my arm that was holding him against me. It sent shivers along my spine, and I felt myself harden a little as he lay there. I'm sure he felt it; we were face to face with him pressed right up against me.

"I had a good time last night. I'm glad you stayed," he said. "Would you like some breakfast? I make a pretty good omelet if I do say so myself. Why don't you take a shower while I whip up something to eat?"

"That sounds great." I told him as I slipped out of the bed myself and began picking up my clothes which were scattered around the room.

"I'm sorry I don't have anything you can wear here," he said. I was certain that none of his clothes were large enough for me.

"That's okay," I smiled at him. "I'll just change when I get home; besides, I'm kind of relieved that you don't have any spare clothes that would fit me. That way, there's nothing for me to be jealous about." I winked playfully at him as I went into the bathroom to shower and get ready for the morning.

As I opened the bathroom door, I could smell the breakfast he was cooking. "That smells good." I said as I sat at the counter where we'd had coffee the night before.

"Would you like coffee or juice?" He asked me.

"Coffee is fine, thanks." I'm a coffee in the morning person; there's nothing like a cup of hot coffee to get the morning started.

He poured me a cup of coffee and a cup of juice for himself as he plated the omelets and toast, he'd prepared. Then we sat and ate the meal in a comfortable silence.

Today is going to be a really good day, I thought to myself. This was a perfect way to start it.