Prologue

Prologue

Avery

"Do you want to come up for a cup of coffee before you go?" I work up my courage to ask, suddenly shy. I want him to come up, but I'm nervous about it too. So far, we haven't done more than some heavy make out sessions.

My heart flutters whenever he looks at me and I want to take our relationship to the next level. I'm nervous as hell right now and I'm pretty sure he can tell. I have always been bad at keeping my emotions off my face.

"I'd like that," he smiles, looking into my eyes.

Oh God, my face turns cherry red as I look back at him. He takes my hand and leads me up to my apartment building since my feet seem to be glued to the ground.

I punch in the code to enter the building and we take the stairs up to the 4th floor; this building doesn't have an elevator; there are only four floors anyway.

I make us both a cup of decaf and add 2 sugars and cream to mine. Pete takes his black with no sugar. That's way to bitter for me. I sit next to him on a stool at the low bar that separates my kitchenette from the rest of the space. I don't have a table since the studio is too small, I just eat at the counter.

Once we've finished our coffee, I again take the initiative, which is completely out of character for me, and I ask him if he'd like to spend the night.

He leans close to me, his lips only inches from mine, and whispers: "I'd like that very much. Are you sure about this though? I'm willing to wait until you're ready if you need more time."

"I'm sure," I answer back, taking his hand and leading him over to my bed that's in the corner of the room.

I point to the bathroom and tell him that there's a spare toothbrush in the top drawer of the cabinet. When he's finished in there, I take my turn. It takes me a little longer since I have to prepare myself for what is to come.

I'm nervous because I don't want Pete to think that I will jump into bed with anybody, but I really want tonight to be something to remember for a long time. I hope that this relationship will develop into a long term relationship. I really like him; more than I've liked anyone before.