27. glow sticks in the ground

Clay is sitting at Adalines computer dicking around on a modded minecraft world while Adaline studies at her desk. She is 100% the person studying on New Years Eve. She has a whole new semester coming up in just a week, why wouldn't she be studying? This is thousands of dollars on the line.

      "Take a break, Ads," Clay spins around in the gaming chair to look at her bent over her notebook studying away like there is no tomorrow.

      "One more chapter," Adaline mumbles. Before she can turn the page, Clay is up and closing the book, effectively causing Adaline to lose her page and groan in frustration. "Clay! C'mon, I have classes coming up next week, I have to finish the notes."

      "There's always tomorrow," Clay says, "Now c'mon, they're waiting."

Adaline gets up reluctantly as she checks the time. She and Clay are meeting Madi, Maira, Dante and her sister for dinner at some restaurant. She wouldn't have agreed to it if she didn't make her New Year's resolution to go out at least once a week. Adaline always sticks to her resolutions. Mama didn't raise a wimp.

The added bonus of her sister, who Madi invited because that's just who Madi is, makes Adaline want to sit right back down. Her goal was to go out, not to talk to her sister. She didn't even know Aimee would be there until a few hours ago when Dante texted her. Of course Madi would make Dante tell her the bad news. They've always had a way with Adaline that the girls didn't despite Adaline and Dante knowing each other for the least amount of time. They're like a sibling to her.

      "You ready? Phone, keys, water?" Adaline asks Clay, who's adjusting his jacket.

      "Yes, mom, we're all packed up. Can't forget the first aid kit, of course." Clay rolls his eyes teasingly and shoves his phone and keys into pocket and tosses his water bottle for Adaline to carry in her small backpack.

The two head to Clay's car, talking idly about the most mundane things on the way to the parking lot. Adaline updates Clay on her job, how she's only working weekends now to make more time for school and streaming. Clay tells Adaline about Em and how she's doing well in school. Little things that aren't important, but they listen to each other so intently anyways.

      "We never rescheduled that date," Clay comments as he and Adaline climb into the drivers and passenger side seats.

      "Oh, right, I'm sorry, it totally slipped my mind," Adaline sighs. The guilt of not getting back around to that is heavy on her.

      "You're alright, Ads."

In what feels like no time, the two arrive at a dainty little restaurant, It's some place Maira picked out, and Adaline can tell just by looking at it. It's small, local, cruelty free. She likes it, it's right up her alley.

When she walks in it's quiet, a peaceful hum of conversation from couples and friends around the restaurant. It's calm for a restaurant on New Years Eve, no loud laughter and remincasing. It's different from what Adaline has done for the past couple of years. Sitting at home with champagne and loud music. Much like Halloween. This is different though. A good difference.

      "Adaline, Clay!" Madi waves an arm in the air, motioning for them.

Adaline takes a deep breath in as Clay laces their fingers together, squeezing her hand three times.

      "Hey, happy New Year!" Dante smiles, giving a fist bump to both of them as they sit down.

Adaline's eyes are avoiding her sister but Aimee is the only thing on her mind. The conversation going on around her is an indistinguishable blur of mumbles that make no sense to her distracted brain. For the first time, Adaline notices the similarities between her and her sister. The way both of them tap the table anxiously, they way that they both wear their hair the same, how similar their outfits are. Their eyes both shift between the people at the table in a specific order.