Chapter Nineteen

"We should go back to Kamino," Tech said, and you turned to look at him. The Batch had all taken their helmets off and had sympathetic expressions. You turned back to Jawa squad, noticing how the loud sobs had stopped.

Steele was holding Hex as he quietly trembled, anger, rage, and a deathening sadness coming from him. Steele held so much concern for Hex, as well as immense sadness at losing another brother. Overwhelming grief and feelings of failure came from Aid and Sans. Aid was the medic, it was his duty to save his injured vod. Sans was the commander, it was his duty to lead his men into dangerous battle and out to safety. They both hadn't been able to do what they were meant to, and because of that, they'd lost a brother, and they fully blamed themselves.

Tie was empty. He wasn't allowing himself to feel anything, to accept that this happened. You knew it would take time, and lots of healing. He might not ever be the same again, none of them would, and it broke your heart to think about.

"Okay," you finally said, responding to Tech. You turned on trembling legs and stepped forward, and Crosshair was immediately there by your side.

"Easy, cyar'ika. There's no rush. We'll get back to Kamino when we get back," he said, and you wrapped your arms around him. "Do you want to fly with your troops?"

"I-" you began, looking back at them. You wanted to be with them, to grieve with them. You wanted to be their friend, their family, not their general. You didn't want them to feel like you were abandoning them when they needed you most. But you also wanted Crosshair's comfort. You wanted him to hold you while you cried, comfort you through the pain.

"What if they came on the Marauder?" you asked quietly.

"There's not a ton of room," Hunter said, earning a jab in the side and a disapproving look from Wrecker.

"They're more than welcome on our ship," Wrecker said.

"I agree with Wrecker. And besides, no one is in the right state to be flying a ship right now," Tech said.

"Are you guys okay with that?" you gently asked your troops, and they just shrugged.

"Sans," you said, walking over and placing a hand on his shoulder. When he didn't look at you, you bent down and held his cheek, stroking it gently as more tears brimmed in his eyes.

"Sans, you need to make a decision. They'll happily let you on their ship, but you have to agree, okay?" Sans nodded, sniffing and wiping his nose.

"Okay," he said weakly, his eyes still trained on the ground. "Come on, ner vods." The others slowly started to move, slowly gaining the strength to go. Tie was the only one who was still on the ground, still holding Bomber close.

"Tie," Aid said, walking over, "w-we...we need to go. You have-you have to say...goodbye." Aid was barely able to choke out the words, and Tie just remained where he was while shaking his head.

"We're not leaving him here," Tie said sternly. "I won't abandon him."

"If the Kaminoans find out he's...his body is on our ship, they'll just take it from us," Hunter said.

"I'm not leaving him here," Tie said again. "The rest of the 17th deserves to say goodbye. He deserves a proper send off." Hunter looked at you, waiting for your call. You knew what you should do, as a Jedi, but you couldn't bring yourself to do it. Bomber had been one of your best men, you weren't going to leave him here.

"Do you want help carrying him, Tie?" you asked, and he shook his head.

"I've got him," he responded, standing up and holding Bomber in his arms. Sans picked up Bomber's helmet, and Tie led everyone onto the Marauder, where Tech cleared off his bunk and let Tie lay down his brother. Sans set Bomber's helmet down beside the bunk, the same spot he would always put it.