Chapter Eleven

The Batch was flying through space, heading back to Kamino to be sent off on their next mission. They didn't know what it was about yet, but that didn't matter to Crosshair. A distraction is what he needed to get you off his mind, and that's exactly what this mission would provide. He would go out there, fight droids, and leave the memory of you on the battlefield when they left, never to go back for it again.

"You seem distracted," Tech pointed out, watching as Crosshair stared blankly out the viewport. He'd been silent since they left Coruscant, and although he was normally quiet, this was different. It was a heavy silence, almost stiff.

"I'm not," Crosshair replied shortly, a little too quickly.

"Did you say goodbye to her?" Tech asked after another silent minute. Crosshair stiffened in his seat, he hated that his brother knew his little secret, especially if he was going to make comments on it.

"No, why would I?"

"You know why."

"Leave me alone," he said, a little too harshly.

"Drop the attitude, Cross. He was just asking a question," Hunter said, shooting his brother a look.

"Oh, it was more than that, you just don't know."

"Then explain it to me," Hunter pressed, leaning forward in his chair to look at Crosshair.

"No," he said, again more harsh than necessary.

"You know, I'm not liking this attitude you've had, and I'm not going to put up with it. There's no reason for you to be acting this way. Sure, your normal rudeness is just that, normal, but yesterday and today? Somethings gotten into you."

"You just don't understand what it's like!" Crosshair said angrily, snapping the toothpick in his mouth and slamming his clenched fists into the arms of his seat.

"Don't know what what's like?" Hunter asked, eyes narrowing at his brother.

"What it's like to like someone! To feel the way I do!" Crosshair said before his own eyes went wide, face flushing as he realized he'd just admitted his crush to everyone. They were all silent, mixed expressions as they absorbed his words.

"You like her?" Hunter questioned, breaking the silence. "You have a crush on y/n? That's why you've been acting so weird?"

"Yes," Crosshair said, letting his head fall back into his seat. Wrecker's boisterous laugh echoed throughout the ship, making Crosshair's face flush deeper, but with more anger than embarrassment.

"AHAH! Crossy likes a girl!"

"You'll never see a girl again if you don't watch it," Crosshair threatened.

"How can you like y/n? You barely even know her. And after your little stunt, I don't think she's very fond of you," Hunter pointed out.

"I know, okay? There's just something about her. I was going to apologize but I never got the chance."

"What do you mean you never got the chance? You had a chance on the Marauder, you had a chance when we landed on Coruscant, you had a chance the whole time we were there, and you had a chance before we left. You just chose not to take them."

"Well it's kind of hard when she's avoiding me," Crosshair defended.

"You were also avoiding her. It goes both ways, Crosshair," Tech pointed out.

"I wasn't avoiding her."

"Really? So you didn't storm out of the mess hall yesterday because you were avoiding her?"