Chapter 13 - Take a leap of Faith or a fall of Fear

ابدأ من البداية

Valka looks away from me, rubbing Cloudjumpers head. Pain is etched on to her features and her eyes radiate anger.

"And...S-Stoick used to...p-punish him when h-he was around...when he turned t-twelve" I say, pulling on the collar of my shirt. "H-He tried to make Hiccup stronger...but it only tore him down."

Valka's eyes harden as she stares into the flames and her hands clench her pants.

"He...he...he was...everyone just...no one actually cared for him. Except Gobber...but that's Gobber so-"

"How could you do that?" says Valka, looking me in the eye. "How could you hurt my son?"

I gulp. "I...I used to think he was pathetic...a wimp. I-I did it to teach him a lesson...to make him man up. To not be...not be a Hiccup."

"And Hiccup still had a crush on you, huh?" she says slowly.

I shrug. "Apparently...I don't understand how. I...I treated him horribly."

"Everyone...hurt him...didn't they?"

I nod.

"But...not Ember."

I furrow my eyebrows. "I don't think so...why?"

Valka furrows her eyebrows before they shoots up and her eyes widen in realisation, but I have no idea why.

She stands, rushing up the stairs to Hiccups room. I get up and go after her, almost tripping on the stairs as I do. I peak in to Hiccups room and I see Valka flicking through a brown, tattered book.

"His...journal?" I say, confused.

Valka ignores me, stopping at a page and she hurriedly reads it, her eyes starting to widen. She mutters the words to herself, but I can't seem to figure out what she is saying.

"Yes" she whispers, flicking through more pages and stopping on another, reading it. Her eyes widen and her eyebrows shoot up. She looks to me, then to the page, then to me. "Oh" she says, looking back to the page. "Oh my."

"What are you doing?" I ask, walking to her to read the book but she rips out a page, stuffing it in her pocket and closing the book. "What are you-"

She completely ignores me, walking out of Hiccups room and down the stairs. I rush out after her and I grab her arm before she goes outside.

"What is going on?" I ask.

She sighs, putting a strand of hair behind my ear. "You won't understand Astrid...you will never understand."

"But tell me" I say. "What does it say in Hiccups journal that is getting you so hyped up?!"

She smiles. "A spark" she says, then turns, walking out of the house.

I stand here, my eyes wide and my brain is lathered in confusion.

A spark? A spark?!? What in the name of Thor is she talking about?

I feel a nudge to my back and I turn to face Toothless.

Hang on.

"Toothless...aren't you meant to be with Hiccup?"

He whines, shaking his head and nudging me again.

"So...are they both riding Ruthless?" I ask.

He nods.

I feel my insides constrict as I imagine them both on Ruthless, Embers arms around Hiccup, her body pressed up against his.

Growling, I grab my battle axe and storm outside. I open my mouth to call StormFly but Toothless nudges me again, a small growl rising from his throat.