𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞 (𝟐)

Start from the beginning

Cass giggled, looking at him fondly, "Hon, are you jealous of a horse?"

"He's taking all of your attention away!" He pouted petulantly, only to grin when she cupped his cheek and kissed him, smirking, "There we go. There's enough of me for both of my boys, right Arthur?"

"Arthur?"

She winked, grabbing his hand and beginning to pull him towards a set of double French-doors, "Good name for a horse, don't you think?"

Pushing them open, they both stepped in slowly, glancing at the gardens in awe. Petting the horse absentmindedly, the Doctor chuckled, "So this is where you came from, eh, Arthur?"

They both watched for a moment as Reinette talked happily with a friend, before walking back into the ship, the doors closing behind them.

Hooking her elbow through his, Cass grinned, "Shall we continued looking for our companions then, love?"

He nodded, walking alongside her quietly, until he asked, "Can you give me a clue? A hint as to what's going on here?"

His tether bit her lip, sadness beginning to flow from her as she remembered the tragedies of this particular episode. Looking up at him, she whispered, "spoiler: the name is the reason."

"The name? Reinette's name?"

"In a way, yes."

Sighing, she looked up at him regretfully, "I've been squeezing my brain since we. Got here, trying to find a way to clue you in on what's happening without giving too much away, and this is the best I could think of. I'm sorry."

He reached over, hooking a finger under her chin, before raising her eyes to his own, smiling at her downtrodden face, "I know, I wasn't complaining love. I know you always do your best, and that is far more than I could ask for."

Stroking her cheekbone once more, he then began pulling her in a different direction, revealing, "I can hear Mickey's voice all the way from here. Blimey, but you've picked a loud one."

Cassandra rolled her eyes, smiling gratefully at him, "yeah well, at least it makes him easier to find."

"That is true."

Slowly, they found them, the companions looking through a mirror into France, observing in fascination as King Louis XV stood before it.

"Blimey, look at this guy," Mickey whispered, "who does he think he is?"

Smirking, his pilot retorted from behind him, "the King of France. Why, who'd you think he was?"

Rose turned to them, raising an amused brow, "oh, here's trouble alright. What have you two been up to?"

The Doctor shrugged casually, "Oh you know, this and that. Became the imaginary friends of a future French aristocrat... picked a fight with a clockwork man..."

From behind them, a loud neigh sounded, and Cass grinned, "oh, and we met a horse!"

Arthur trotted into view, as though responding to the mention of himself, and Mickey stared incredulously, "what's a horse doing on a spaceship?"

"Mickey," the Doctor groaned impatiently, "what's pre-Revolutionary France doing on a spaceship? Get a little perspective."

Cass rolled her eyes, before tilting her head towards the mirror, explaining, "see these things, they're all over the place here. One on every single deck. A gateway to history, if you will, but not generalized history..." her finger touched the glass, pointing towards the beautifully dressed blonde woman who'd just entered and continuing, "hers. Time Windows, deliberately arranged to spy on one woman's timeline."