ten

Noah

April

~~~

He hasn't heard from her since.

He hasn't heard from her since she knocked on his door randomly and put her arms around him and cried and said she loved him.

After she calmed down, he drove her home and made sure she got inside safely.

He's wanted her to call, to apologize, to explain herself and why she came to him of all people that one night. Her birthday.

But he knows she was drunk. And she knows she probably didn't know what she was doing or saying, but he still hopes and prays that she will come back to him.

He's in the kitchen, making a Cup of Noodle when someone knocks on the door.

He wipes his hands on a towel and walks over to the door and swings it open.

Dixie. He knows it's her because of her brown eyes, staring right at him. But is she real? Has he finally gone insane and he's now seeing things?

"Hey, Noah." She says, and now he's snapped out of it. She's really here.

"Hey, Dix." He lets her in, taking in her scent as she walks by him. She's always smelled like bubblegum and flowers. "What are you doing here?"

"I should explain myself." Dixie says.

He takes a deep breath. "Okay, do you wanna sit?"

"I'm okay, I'll stand." She says, fiddling nervously with her fingers. Finally, she looks up at him.

"I don't completely remember everything that happened on my birthday... But I know enough." She says, quietly. "I meant what I said, Dixie. I do love you. I never stopped."

Warmth fills his body as she says that she loves him.

"But," Dixie says. "I do think it's for the best that we stay apart. We could do with more time apart."

His heart breaks again once she says those words. He misses her so much, so much, yet he can't do anything about this because this is obviously what she wants.

"I'm fortunate enough to know you, you know. I've thought about calling you so many time since I left. I still have your number on speed dial. I know it's crazy... Every time something happens I almost press your number to tell you all about it but then I remember. And while I remember all the good times, and many other facts about you, like the fact that you hate chocolate ice cream but love chocolate chip cookies, I can't have you anymore. No, that would be selfish of me. I lost you a long time ago." She said, eyes filling with tears.

"You remember?" He asked her. A sad smile came upon her lips and she closed her eyes, breathing out the words as if they would be her last. Images of us made him wince. As if it was painful to remember.

"How could I forget?" Her voice broke as she remembered the time we were happy together. Before she ended it all. She seems to snap out of it. "I need to go."

And before he knows it, she's gone.

And he wishes he hadn't heard from her.