Jayce

(i wasn't so sure about this story, but your comments were so sweet that i decided to continue :) thank u guys, enjoy this chapter!)

Viktor and I worked the rest of the day on fixing up and cleaning the cluttered room. I carefully wiped down the board for a fresh start while Viktor sorted through some piles after he had recovered. I tried to ask him to step outside for some fresh air since the room was so congested and I was scared he would have a coughing fit again, but he was adamant on staying and helping out, insisting that he was fine. I guess it did happen a lot.

Either way, it just made me more eager to start working on a eventually perfecting Hextech. After I had tidied up my side of the room, I walked over to a Viktor who was conscientiously reading through some notes and fiddling with some tools.

I placed a hand on his shoulder as I approached behind him and he seemed startled but gave a small smile. "This is some interesting work you have here, truly," he said.

I was flattered to hear him praise my work, even though he had been doing it since the beginning. He was a genius, he had to have been, making his way from the depths of Zaun and becoming the assistant of perhaps the most influential creature in Piltover. The fact that he liked my work made everything feel more worthwhile.

"Thank you," I replied and reached over, "May I?"

Viktor tilted his head to glance at me, "Sure," and handed me a circular prototype I had created months ago that he was holding. It was junk now, but it may be useful later.

I was close, and my fingers brushed against his as I grabbed it, but it didn't feel uncomfortable.

As I told him a little about it along with some of the other "junk" scattered across the table, I watched his eyes.

They were curious, stern, intimidating, soft and gentle all the same time. Every color but one solid simultaneously; mixes and various hues of brown, yellow, and golden. They were stunning.

I don't know why I'm thinking these things, feeling these things, but eventually I guess I trailed off.

"Jayce?"

I snapped back into focus and realized how close we were standing. Viktor wasn't holding anything anymore but up against the table behind him. He looked up at me with those eyes.

I stared.

"Jayce?" Viktor repeated with that voice of his.

I stepped back a little, "Sorry," was all I could muster. I shook my head and shuffled over to another corner of the room and continued cleaning up. I watched Viktor from the corner of my eye as he did the same somewhere else. I rubbed my forehead, what was I doing? I don't understand how I got so distracted. I'm known for being so focused and serious, especially when it comes to my work.

I traced my thoughts back and realized. I was thinking about him. In a way that I probably shouldn't. In a way I really shouldn't. He was my scientific partner! He had done so much for me, yet... More than I had done for him anyway. Unprovoked, unsolicited, he helped me. Simply because he was a good person. And here I was doing the most to save my own skin from imprisonment.

I felt a hand on my shoulder that snapped me out of thoughts again. I found myself removing my hand from my forehead, where I guess my fingers were still digging into stressfully.

"You want to take a break for tonight?" Viktor asked, "You seem.." he trailed off and did that little nod thing I noticed he does with his head and shrugged.

"Yeah," I chuckled and stood up, "Must be the dust," I said with a laugh.

Viktor scoffed and chuckled too, "Yeah, must be."