Viktor

When I first met Jayce, he seemed impossible to negotiate with. Another "mad scientist," too obsessed with his own work to see the faults within.

I could not blame him, though. When Professor Heimerdinger first introduced the issue to me, and sent me to remove dangerous items, I was fascinated. An explosion, children from the Undercity.

Later that night, I looked through the items that had been hauled out and came across something that caught my eye. His journal. I sat down and looked through it, every page signed. I chuckled. His work was incredible.

This... Hextech, he had named it, was almost impossible to believe. And that was because, to put it simply, it was magic. He was so close to unlocking it, and now I could see why he was so upset about it all being taken away and destroyed.

I decided to pay him a visit. Our conversion was... odd. He seemed distracted, though I couldn't tell exactly why. It could be any number or combination of things, which he did not wish to disclose.

He stared, a lot. I felt comfortable around him. I even told him I was from the Undercity. Still, I cannot think of what could've compelled me to do that, and I regret it more than anything. The look in his eye and the shock in his face.

"Wait," he stopped me, "I don't even know your name."

That I had not realized, nor did I think it mattered. I was truly shocked to learn he cared.

"It's Viktor," I told him, and left.

I spent another restless night flipping through the pages of his journal. I decided to attend his meeting with the Council in the morning, like he asked. Except, it would not be in his defense, only to spectate.

Besides, Heimerdinger asked me to be there, to provide evidence of what I had encountered in his home.

The morning had come, I got ready to be there early, as the audience was expected to be. I waited in the courtroom within the soft buzz of the early morning and the muttering of everyone around me.

I stared at the floor, readjusting myself on my cane. I have had it since I was a child, yet, the pain of it digging under my arm, the limpness of my leg, and the hunching of my back in order to compensate never went away. I only looked up again when the room went silent and I knew it was time to begin.

A disappointed looking Jayce was escorted inside, to the center of the Council's rounded table. The room went dark, and with a loud click, a spotlight suddenly appeared on Jayce. It illuminated his expression, dark undereyes, probably from not sleeping all nice and the stress he had endured over only the past day.

I watched his eyes glance around to each member of the Council, sweep through the audience. Then, they landed on me. I faltered for a moment, caught off guard, looking away then back again.

He bowed his head slightly, a silent but urging cry for help. To defend him before the court.

I didn't know what to do so I showed him no response.

Heimerdinger began speaking and Jayce took a deep breath to face the Council before and around him.

"What do you have to say for yourself?" he asked in his small yet assertive voice.

I glanced between Jayce and the Council, watching them carefully was key to finding out what they were going to do next, which I had learned after years of working under the over 300-year-old head.

"Endangering not only yourself, but the common citizens of Piltover?" Professor Heimerdinger continued.

"I-," Jayce hesitated, "Sir, I-" he took a deep breath, "If only you let me share my research, you'd understand why I had to keep it secret."