16: Ruined Plans.

Thabit's POV.

Areef was peacefully sleeping in my arms. He's Wali's son.
"So? What's with you today?" He asks planning to throw a bottle of water at me but changes his mind when he sees his son. He keeps it on the side table.

"Bro, I have an issue"
"What did you do now, Thabit?"

I shake my head "Nothing"
"Seeing you with that child is odd, you're never the type to hold children. The boy looks uncomfortable" he jokes "You don't need to hold his head, just rest it on your arm"

"Just come collect him" I hiss.
"Nope, too tired" he smiles "So? What's the issue?"

"My wife—" he cuts me off.
"The one you married for selfish reasons? You don't love her".

"You don't have to remind me. Well now she wants kids"
He just stares at me then at the baby then back at me "Now? You? Are you ready?"

I shake my head "Not at all. I don't want a child now".
"You married her because you said she'd be fit to be your children's mother but you're not ready to have kids with her yet? That's just inconsiderate and selfish".

I huff "That's not the hassle at the moment. She won't talk to me"

He sits up getting serious "Then you shouldn't have married her. You should have met someone else".

"Don't bore me, all I need at the moment is a solution and if you cannot offer it then you don't need to say anything".
"If you know you can't love her then at least make her happy. Give her what she wants".

"Koh? (Right?)"
He nods "I hope it's a girl".

"Keep hoping, give me my son".

::

Someone knocks on my office door.
"Come in" I say.

The door opens and I see Sophie.
"Saffiyya, what are you doing here?"

She smiles nervously "I came to see Abdayn"
I stare at her.
"Please where is he?"

"Abdayn doesn't work here anymore, he hasn't been working here for over a month now. He didn't tell you?"
She stood there looking at me, shocked.

She suddenly bursts into tears "he didn't. I haven't seen him in over a week now".
I get up and gently lead her to the couch before getting her a bottle of water from the fridge.

He spent the afternoon yesterday with us at the lounge, he left early when his mother called. He said he'd stop by before going home so I honestly didn't know that he hasn't been home for that long.

I huff.
"Since the day we got married he has been acting insufferable. All I want is to spend time with my husband".

She starts weeping heavily.
I was shook.
Of all the people to break down infront of, it had to be me.

I pat her hand gently, I didn't want to get too physical.
"Don't worry, it's going to be fine".

She raises her head and looks at me hopefully
"How? He doesn't love me"
I shake my head "He does".

"Then why would he hurt me? It's obvious he doesn't" she wails.
"That's how we men are. We're just a bit twisted sometimes and that's all. It's like when our mothers tell us not to go to parties by 1am but we still go or how they'll tell us to wash the car but end up sleeping inside it because we went to the party they warned us not to go to the night before. We love them and we'd never want to see them hurt because we know no one would love us the way they do. So I'll talk to him, you two just need to sort things out".

She smiles "You really know how to make a person feel better".
"I try".

"Thanks, I really didn't want to break down infront of you like that but I just couldn't help it".

"I understand but you need to confide in someone, you can't suppress pain for too long"
"How did you know?" She asks surprised.
"It just seemed that way" I stand "I see you and Miruna aren't as close as you used to be"

"I guess I just didn't want anyone to see me that way".

I nod.
She gets up, thanks me and leaves.

Abdayn is really a bastard.

::

Sophie's POV.

I stare at myself in the mirror.
It's not that I'm not beautiful.
It's not like I don't have a good body.
It's not like I don't love him.

Could Thabit be right?
He made a lot of sense though.
He's the last person I'd ever think I'd break down in front of him.

But it felt good to let it all out.
Now I'll just do as he says.

Yesterday night my husband came back home which means Thabit successfully got through to him.
I knock on his bedroom door.

"Hmm"
I roll my eyes and open the door anyway.
"You're still in bed?" I ask.

"Are you here to nag me?"
I just stare at him.
"Abdayn, why did you marry me?"

He turns around and looks at me.
"What kind of stupid question is that? Why do people get married?"

I huff "For money, for love even for their ego"
He laughs sarcastically "So I married you for my ego?"
"If not then do you really love me?"

He sits up "Why else would I marry you? To waste my youth and my time?"
"But you don't show me love or care so what else am I supposed to think?"

"Are you doubting me?" He asks with scowl on his face.
"And if I am? You made me doubt you in the first place".

So what happened that might not have been mentioned was that my beloved friend's husband called and told me what I should say to antagonize him, rile him up. At first I was hesitant but I didn't have any other option and he knows his friend more than I do anyway.

"You're giving me attitude? Me?"
"You changed since we got married so why can't I? It's not like I'm happy in the marriage".

Honestly I was scared.
What if he goes ballistic?

He smiles completely taking me off guard.
Why is he smiling?
"How sad" he starts walking over to me "Poor Saffiyya is sick and tired of getting treated like crap"

He puts both his arms on his shoulders, hovering over me intimidatingly.
"Well" he flashes his teeth and for the split second I started crushing on my husband but the smile on his face was far from something to love.

"Well in my defense you seduced me from the very beginning so it's not my fault" he frowns "But be rest assured that I will never ever love you"

He pouts mockingly "The girl I liked is now married to Thabit, too bad for me. Darling you should be feeling bad for me but you're too selfish to see it" he taps me on the shoulder and walks out.

I couldn't cry, not infront of him.

::