Chapter 10

Stiles and Derek sat at the campsite, looking over the map that Elliot had given them. It was very detailed; notes were scribbled on it in two different sets of handwriting. Derek traced his fingers along a trail marked out, messages stating that it was there the big Moon Crystal in the museum was dug up. "Derek, look at this," Stiles giggled, shoving the journal that was in his hands in front of Derek. "They wrote to each other while Elliot was at war. These are far more than about the Moon Crystal." 

Derek's eyes danced over the pages in front of him, smiling at the words. "This one is about some kids who got chased off the mountain by what sounds like a pack. Mason reported that no one was hurt, but the kids swore that wolves chased them." Stiles laughed, flipping the pages. "Oh, and these are entries that they wrote before Elliot left. It seems that Mason found comfort in writing his words and feelings out rather than talking, so they would write in this journal." 

Derek tilted his head, pulling a page out of the book that was falling out. It was nearly folded, and it was easy to see that it had been ripped in spots from water damage and being opened and closed so many times. "I don't think we should open this one," Derek sighed. He could smell the sadness that lingered on the paper; he knew what it was. "It's far more personal than the rest of this; it's all still too overly generous that Elliot even gave it to us." Derek took the journal from Stiles' hands and tucked the paper into the back before closing the journal and placing it along with the map back into the box. 

"It should be dark soon. We should get the other's together." Stiles nodded. 

Dear Mason,

It all burned today. The forest burned and burned. It took them months to put it all out. Declared safe, I ventured up to our old hunting grounds. I found that nest you had mentioned, all blackened, never to glow again. I searched for hours; I never found a single crystal that would glow. It burned so deep; I don't know if any will ever grow here again. I saw the local pack in town. They were so beaten up about losing the haven. 

I'm so sorry your favorite place is gone, Mason. Hopefully, maybe one day, it'll become what you remember it to be again. 

Love, Elliot.