Chapter 18- Laughter

Start from the beginning

"That's not a very nice thing to say," Fluttershy stated.

"Sorry, deary, but these games aren't about being nice."

"Well, we might use a little tact."

"Sorry about my colleagues. They're a little..." the other Ruby trailed off.

I looked toward the stand off. "Let's go for a walk, shall we?"

She nodded.

We went into a corner of the gym. She looked like what I would've looked like if I had stayed in Canterlot. Fortunately, I was like this. I had a perfect boyfriend, great best friends, and I was happy in Ponyville.

"You're like me," Ruby stated.

"We're like each other," I corrected her. "I know this is confusing, but-"

"You're from another dimension," Ruby said bluntly.

I gaped at her. "How did you-"

"Twilight doesn't keep anything from me. And it's the only probable explanation. And the only logical one," Ruby explained.

I smiled, looking over and noticing Principal Celestia walk onto the stage.

"Hello, everyone. I'd like to take this opportunity to greet all of our visitors from Crystal Prep Academy, and welcome them to CHS. And lastly, I would like to recognize the twelve students CHS has recognized to compete. I don't think we could have chosen a better group to represent the excellence, sportsmanship, and friendship the games stand for."

The lights suddenly turned off, a disco ball shining across the gym. I grinned. Pinkie Pie must've added her little touches. Livelier music played, and people interacted more. Everyone was having fun. It didn't matter what school we came from. We were having fun.

Pinkie grew ears and a tail. She floated into the air, grinning.

Laughter.

She floated back to the ground after a moment, a little woozy. I ran over to her, supporting her under her arm. It was definitely magic. The question is, why was it acting this way?

"I am party-pooped," Pinkie said, leaning against me.

"I know, Pinkie. You'll get your energy back in no time," I assured her.

The tapping on the microphone stopped everything. The microphone gave feedback, and the lights turned back on. Principal Cinch stood on the stage, looking like a party-pooper.

"I'd like to thank Principal Celestia for her unconventional welcome. It's been four years since the last friendship games, but it feels as though nothing has changed. Canterlot High continues to pick its competitors in a popularity contest, and Crystal Prep continues to field its top twelve students. It is a comfort to know that even after so many years of losses, your school remains committed to its ideals, however misguided they may be. I wish you all the best of luck, regardless of the inevitable outcome."

By then, we went back to what we were doing. Crystal Prep against Canterlot High, separated by the middle of the gym. I frowned. No love. No happiness. Not even kindness was present.

Pinkie and I walked over to our friends. Pinkie rubbed her head, letting go of me gently.

"I'm sorry, Pinkie. I thought your party additions were really swell," Applejack said.

"They definitely broke the ice," Fluttershy agreed.

"Yes. Only that Principal Cinch hadn't frozen it again," Rarity pointed out.

"Yeah. She's awful," Pinkie said.

"Wow, Pinkie. What happened to you?" Sunset asked. Rainbow joined her side.

"I don't know. Everyone started having fun after Twilight and I fired the party cannons, and I ponied-up," Pinkie explained.

"Of course you did," Sunset said, smiling.

"But then the magic just drained right out of me," Pinkie continued.

"Wait, what do you mean, drained?" Sunset asked, worried.

"I'm thinking of a sudden burst of energy," I said.

"Hey, where is that other Twilight, anyway? And Ruby?" Applejack asked.

"Oh, she's right—Well, she was right here," Pinkie said.

"Twilight and I had a tendency to disappear easily. Because nobody paid attention, we were easy to disappear into the shadows," I said, scanning over the party.

"What's wrong, Ruby?" Caramel asked.

"There's no love in here. No kindness. Not even happiness. Everything is just... hate," I explained. "I know my powers can't detect it, but there's nothing setting me off right now. The only thing that happens... is when I look at us. The group. Us as a whole."