Chapter 12- Awesome As I Wanna Be

"This is it. Last round, then you're in the finals. Unless you think the counter-spell is ready to be played now," Sunset said, looking between Twilight and me.

"Don't worry, you two. Finals aren't until tonight. We'll get in a little more practice before we're supposed to hit the stage. We won't let you down," Applejack assured us.

"You won't let me down," Twilight whispered, making me frown.

"Um, I was just wondering. We haven't played any of my songs yet, and..." Fluttershy trailed off.

"It's the semi-finals. We gotta do Awesome As I Want To Be," Rainbow said.

"Don't know why I even asked," Fluttershy huffed.

"You're never gonna top that performance, Raingoons. You shouldn't be allowed to, when you have such a big advantage over the rest of us," Trixie snapped.

"My superior guitar playing and off-the-charts awesome singing voice?" Rainbow boasted, making me giggle.

Trixie scoffed, rolling her eyes. "Don't be ridiculous. I mean them." Trixie pointed at me and Twilight. "If you were really all that, Rainbow Dash, you wouldn't have needed to bring in some magical ringers to have half the chance. Everyone's talking about it."

Rainbow laughed. "Please. I could win this thing as a solo act, and everyone knows it."

"Rainbow, enough," I hissed.

Trixie threw a smoke bomb, and the blue smoke surrounded us. We coughed violently before the smoke disappeared.

"She's gone!" Pinkie exclaimed. "Oh, wait, there she is."

"Next up, the Rainbooms."

Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!

Awesome as I wanna be

Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!

Awesome as I wanna be

First you see me riding on a sonic boom

Got my guitar shreddin' up my latest tune

There is nothin' you can do to beat me

I'm so good that you can't defeat me

Yeah, I'm awesome, take caution

Watch out for me, I'm awesome as I wanna be

I'm awesome, take caution

Watch out for me, I'm awesome as I wanna be

Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!

I quickly unplugged her amp before Rainbow could pony-up. She looked at me in surprise, and so did some of the group. Sunset looked relieved. I could deal with the surprise of the crowd. Hopefully.

"Really? Ruby turned rogue, huh?"

I took a deep breath, trying not to crack from all the disappointment. We walked off stage. Everyone glared at me as I slid down against the wall. They all thought I did that to ruin our act.

"Look, I didn't know what else to do. I didn't want Rainbow to pony up," I said calmly.

"We didn't see that," Applejack said sheepishly.

"Sorry, Ruby," Fluttershy said softly.

"Good show, Rainbrooms. I especially liked the part where Ruby Rose turned rogue and unplugged her best friend's amp," Trixie said, smirking at me.

"It wasn't like that," I mumbled.

"Ooh! Looks like they already decided who's moving onto the finals! I'm guessing it wasn't too difficult a decision," Trixie bragged.

I covered my ears as the Sirens sang. I bowed my head like a coward. I uncovered them when I heard nothing.

"The band that will be joining the Dazzlings in tonight's finals... The Rainbooms!"

"What?!"

"Did they just say the Rainbooms?" Pinkie squeaked, surprised.

"This isn't over," Trixie said angrily, stomping away.

We walked out on stage, still in shock.

"Congratulations, girls. You deserve it," Principal Celestia said.

"Seriously? We didn't even finish our-" Rainbow elbowed Pinkie, cutting her off before she could finish her sentence.

"See you at tonight's big show, Rainbooms. We are really looking forward to it," the yellow-haired girl said before the group walked off.

"Yeah, well, not as much as we are!" Rainbow shot back.

The booing started, and I rolled my eyes. We walked off, keeping my confident step and posture. I could see the fiery glare in Caramel's eyes. I looked away, huffing. Not needing it right now, Rainbow wrapped her arm around me to stop me from turning around to look. She didn't want me to see the deadly glares being thrown at our backs.