"So, that's why you were arrested that day." Robin murmurs, effectively breaking the brunette from her dark musings.

"Yes," Regina replies, allowing her gaze to briefly meet his, "and if it weren't for you, I'd surely be headless."

Smiling a warm smile, he quips, "Well, we couldn't have that now, could we?"

Allowing a small smile of her own to pull at her lips, the brunette lowers her gaze towards her hands once again before continuing, "As you know, I wasn't at all pleased to learn that I'd gained an injury that meant I couldn't move for three whole days."

"Oh, I remember quite well, milady," the thief murmurs with a small chuckle, "I have to admit, you were quite infuriating at times."

Unable to help cringing at her past self's behaviour, Regina apologises, "I'm sorry, I really didn't make things easy for you."

"Regina," Robin says, hooking a finger underneath her chin and leaving her brown orbs no choice but to gaze into the depths of his blue ones, "yes, your attitude towards the situation wasn't of the nicest nature, but it was perfectly understandable. You were frustrated and stuck in an unfamiliar camp with unfamiliar men. You had a right to throw a few comments here and there."

Though she's genuinely touched by his consideration and understanding, the brunette can't help but to feel that she is more than unworthy of it. So, breaking from the overwhelming intensity of his warm and caring gaze, Regina stands, moving so that her front faces the empty and cold heart of the fireplace whilst her back is to the thief, "If you knew the truth, you wouldn't be so understanding."

"But, Regina–"

"Remember the night when I left?" the queen asks firmly, causing the thief to stumble over his next few words. "Remember how I was prepared to run away from the life you offered me and to never look back?" she continues, letting her question hang in the air between them. When she can no longer stand the weighted silence, Regina shakily reveals, "It was what I had planned to do the moment I was able to walk again."

As silence threatens to fall over them once again, Robin quickly breaks it with a single question, "What stopped you?"

The question rings within her mind. She knows the answer without a shred of doubt, and yet finds herself hesitating to reveal the truth. Maybe it's because of the way in which he said it, his voice failing to give away anything as to what he's currently thinking. Or maybe it's because Regina knows that upon revealing the real reason as to why she chose to stay, she will no longer be able to hide how deeply she has fallen in love with this man.

Yes, Robin knows how she feels and loves her in return, but Regina knows she wouldn't be able to take it if she were to tell him just how much she loves him only for his rejection to follow upon realising that he could never be with a monster like her.

But when she turns and once again meets Robin's gaze, Regina knows that she could never lie to him. Her love for him would never allow it. So, after taking a shaky breath to settle the churning within her stomach, the brunette admits, "You."

"Me?" Robin asks as his eyes widen in disbelief.

"Yes," Regina replies with a small smile, "You helped me with something that I haven't had in a very long time."

"And what's that?" the thief gently prompts, his gaze never leaving hers.

Giving a slight smile, the brunette reveals, "For years I've hidden behind a mask, controlling how people would see me...how I would see myself." Sitting at his side once again, the brunette clutches his hands within her own and continues, "But being with you made me realise that I had become so tired of hiding my true self, because you were the only one who reminded me of who that person was – is." Feeling tears brim within her brown orbs, Regina lifts a single hand to cup the man's cheek, "Because of you, I no longer felt I had to hide, and I am so grateful for that and I love you so much I just–" But just as she goes to finish her sentence, Regina's voice catches within her throat as words choose to fail her.