Chapter Fifty-five

Začít od začátku

"E kaaro ma" I prostrated towards her, smiling blandly and she rose from her seat to give me a side hug whilst gently slapping my back. (Good morning)

At this point, our guests had all risen to their feet along with my parents and the exchange of pleasantries began. I took a firm shake from Mr. Ayinde with my head slightly bowed in respect as I answered his questions, steering towards my career and wellbeing.

"So this is Bimpe, the only daughter of the Ayindes," my father gestured towards the young lady that had been quietly standing right beside her mother.

I waved at her and offered her a welcoming smile. "Hello"

"Hi" she smiled back and subtly bowed her head then averted her eyes away from mine.

Just a few seconds after meeting her, my first impression was that she was reserved and timid. Her personality didn't quite match her physical appearance in my opinion. She stood a few inches shorter than me with a fit build and I was a good 6'2.

"You should know her now. She used to come here with her parents when you were younger" my father added, tapping on my shoulder blade like it would send the memories running back to me.

"Oh well, we wouldn't remember that. As you said, we were younger" I said and followed with an awkward chuckle.

"You're right" Mr. Ayinde quipped and collective laughter followed amongst the adults. I wasn't sure what exactly was funny but I joined in, not entirely sure what to do.

The next minute, we were all seated in the living room. The television had some random American movie playing but neither of us was paying attention. I pulled out my phone from my front pockets and began to scroll through my Instagram feed, occasionally glancing around to make sure my attention wasn't called on.

"Yinka—"my father beckoned. "—you know, Bimpe graduated from the University of Ibadan with a first class in Biochemistry" He continued with my attention now in his grasp.

"Oh wow, that's nice," I said as I placed my phone down on my lap and looked at her. "Congratulations"

"Thank you" she smiled and pushed her thin-rimmed spectacles, further up the bridge of her nose.

"Such a smart girl" my father said, his tone like that of a proud father. "Wouldn't you say so?" he directed at me.

What is going on with him?

"Yeah..." I guess

"You know, it's been a while since you guys saw each other. Why don't you catch up with each other tomorrow? Or whatever day is comfortable for you guys" Mrs. Ayinde suggested, beaming with an excited smile. If he was trying to be subtle with his intentions then his efforts were utterly futile.

Are these old people attempting to set their children up? In this day and age?

"Uh..." I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. The reason for my presence needed at this visitation was now clear as day to me.

"Abi, is there someone who wouldn't like you catching up with her?" My father asked then chuckled to mask his poor attempt at stylishly prying into my personal life. These people are terrible at this.

I looked at my mother who had been silent the entire time. Her eyes were fixed on the television but I had a feeling, she wasn't really watching the movie.

"Ehn Yinka?" My father inquired, eyes trained on me and patiently awaiting my response.

"Uh no" I muttered under my breath

"You don't sound sure o" Mr. Ayinde pointed out then followed with a weird chuckle.

"Abi" My father concurred with his arms subtly spread out. (Right)