The Party

Before I could even think, the "real" Mirabel was dragging me upstairs.

It had been Camilo that I was speaking to before. I messed up badly. I never meant to hurt him, I just wanted to know if he was actually interested in me, and not just a flirt. But that was an unfair assumption.

Mirabel brought me up to her room and closed the door behind her. I sat down on my bed and stared at the floor, processing what had just happened. She put a hand on my shoulder and bent down to get level with my sitting position.

"What's wrong Y/N? Did something happen while you were gone?" I looked up at her, my face riddled with guilt. I told her everything. Her eyes widened. She started to pace back in forth.

"Mirabel what am supposed to do?" I ask fearfully.

"Camilo has a well- forward personality... but he doesn't lead people on. I can tell that he really likes you Y/N. I think all you can do is give him a little time and then talk to him whenever you get the chance. Just tell him what you told me, he'll understand. I'm sure of it." She says while nodding to herself.

"You think he'll forgive me?"

She looks at me. "Honestly, I don't know. Camilo is difficult. He acts all confident," she waves her hands in the air, "but really, he's pretty insecure."

I nod. Camilo, insecure? What if he never talked to me again? Had I completely shattered his trust? I bury my head in my hands. I feel Mirabels arm on my shoulder. I look up at her, holding back tears. She looks at me sympathetically.

"We've got to start getting ready Y/N/N. And I have something that might just cheer you up." She smiled brightly. I looked at her curiously. She walked to a door which I assumed led to her closet. She disappeared inside and shouted at me from behind the closed door.

"Close your eyes!!"

I did as she told me and my eyes instantly screwed shut. I heard the closet door open again and sounds of rustling. I had to resist the urge to peek. After a few seconds she gave me permission to open my eyes.

"Tadaaaaaa!"

I gasped. She was holding up a gorgeous formal dress with intricate embroidered details. It was my favorite color and everything. It was insanely beautiful. I stood there in silence, just staring. She looked at me nervously and laid the dress down on her bed,

"If you don't like it you don't have to wear it... I just thought that maybe-" She didn't have time to finish her sentence because I leaped up and hugged her.

"Thank you so much. This is the nicest thing anyones ever done for me." I pulled back to admire the dress. I looked up at her in shock.

"You really made this?" I asked in awe. She nodded, clearly flattered.

"Wanna try it onnnn?" She asked with a smile and a wiggle of her eyebrows. I looked at her, my lips curling into a half smile.

"Please!"

—-

Mirabel and I had been getting ready for about an hour and a half when we finally finished. Mirabel was wearing a gorgeous teal ruffled dress that was flooded with colors and designs. My dress was elegantly ornate and hugged the frame of my body perfectly. We both wore our hair in curls, I had a few golden hairpins in mine.

We walked out of her room and into the now busy hallway. People were making the final preparations for the party and scrambling to finish last minute tasks. I found myself unconsciously scanning the room for Camilo. Then I saw him, he was speaking to a man I didn't recognize. Suddenly he glanced over my direction and noticed me.