The Molcajete

Soon after me and Mirabels talk, she had to leave and help make decorations. The party was tomorrow after all. I wanted to help, but didn't know what I could do that wasn't already being done. Then I heard Pepa calling her children down,

"Hijos! Come down here, I need some help!"

Maybe I could help Pepa! I practically ran down the stairs until I saw the curly red headed woman. She was pacing in frustration, a cloud appearing over her head. When she saw me the cloud dissipated and she smiled, waiting for me to speak.

"Can I help you with anything?" I asked nervously.

"Oh! Yes yes thank you! I need someone to- wait, I can't let you go alone! Dolores is busy... ah I'll make Camilo go! Yes." She says to herself, thinking intently. I put my hands up as to say she didn't have to worry about me going alone but she payed no mind.

"CAMILO, GET DOWN HERE!" She shouted. She tapped her foot and increasingly grew annoyed. "That boy." She said in whisper. A thunder cloud clapped over her head.

"CAMILO DON'T MAKE ME DRAG YOU OUT OF THAT ROOM!" Pepa said while flailing her arms dramatically. At this point I don't know rather to laugh or run.

"¡AY! WHAT MAMA?" Camilo appears by the railing above. Clearly annoyed.

"Watch your tone! Go take Y/N to the Guzmans and ask to borrow their molcajete." He rose his finger and his mouth opened like he was about to speak but instead he started down the stairs. His mother nodded her head and relaxed her death stare on him.

"Good, now be safe." Pepa said as Camilo reached the bottom of the stairs. Her arms motioned for him to come closer and he slowly moved toward her, rolling his eyes with a smile as she pulled him in for a big hug.

"Mama please, I can't breathe!" Camilo chuckles out. "I'll be safe!" Once his mom is satisfied with his mood shift, she lets him go and waves him goodbye. As he leaves his moms arms he looks over at me anxiously. He still felt bad about earlier. He gave me a small smile and motioned that I could start walking so I did.

As we walked out the front door and headed down the path, the sounds of the town filled my ears. Kids running around, birds tweeting, and distant music coming from the town square. I wanted to tell him not to worry about what had happened before in the closet, but as soon as I opened my mouth he started talking.

"Look Y/N, I'm so sorry about what happened earlier" He began. I cut him off with a wave of my hand.

"Please Camilo, it's really fine. I felt the same way so you don't have to be so apologeti-" He stopped walking abruptly. "Camilo?" I turned around to see him with one eyebrow raised. He was intently staring into my soul. An enormous grin was plastered along his face. He started to walk closer to me, really close.

"You were feeling the same way?" He questioned with a tilt of his head. My eyes widen, realizing what I said. He takes another step closer to me, leaving only a few inches between us. He holds eye contact.

I don't know what to do, I'm 100% sure my face is red at this point so I just stare right back into his eyes. What. The. Hell. He brings his face ever so close to mine and leans into my right ear, his lips brushing over my cheek as he moves.

"Good to know." He whispers. My whole body erupts in shivers. He pulls back to look at me for a second, then snickers and keeps walking. Well, his former confident self was back. That's for sure. I stood there for a second and watched silently as he walked away, shocked. After he took about 10 steps, he turned around and looked at me with an innocent expression and said,

"Are you coming?"

He said it like nothing had just happened. I stared at him blankly for a second before jogging to catch up.

As we walk down the road into town I try to process what just happened. I absentmindedly traced the places on my cheek where his lips had touched while looking around at all the houses. Did anyone see that whole ordeal back there? Was that just normal for everyone? Maybe Camilo was just a flirt? Maybe I could ask Mirabel tonight...

"Earth to Y/N?" Camilo was waving his hand in front of me.

"Hm what?" I respond confused. His eyebrows flick up for second then he motions in front of me, grinning cockily. Almost knowing that he was the reason I was distracted. What happened to the embarrassed, nervous Camilo from like 10 minutes ago?

"Isabella was saying something." He explains. Wow. I didn't even see her approach us. I needed to snap out of it. I met eyes with Isabella and smiled politely.

"I was just asking what you two are doing down here." She asks with a confused look, putting her hands on her hips and eyeing an overly smiley Camilo. "Why are you so giddy?" She points to him up and down. He's practically bouncing on his feet.

"What! Can't I just be happy?!" He says jokingly offended.

"Alright, who did you mess with? Is that why Y/N is out of it? Did you poison them or something?" Isabella narrows her eyes.

"Okay that was an accident, I just wanted those berries to stain your dress... how was I supposed to know that they were poison!" Camilo says defensively.

I look at him with an incredulous expression. Isabella rolls her eyes.

"Where are you heading to?" Isabella says to me, ignoring Camilo.

"The Guzmans. Señora Pepa wants us to get a molcajete for the party." I explain.

"Oh cool! I just finished with all the flowers, so can I tag along? If I go home they're just going to make me do some other boring task." Isabela asked.

"Of course!" I respond cheerfully.

"Alright then!" Isabela loops her arms through mine and Camilo's.

"Let's Go!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone! Sorry for the infrequent uploads, I can't promise I'll have two chapters out tmmr but I'll try my best! I can promise the next chapter will be longer though!! (Sorry) It was really hard for me to add more plot before the party happens but I'm trying my best so sorry if it seems like a lot of dialogue. Thank you so much for reading! Please feel free to leave constructive criticism. I was super stuck on this chapter so thank you to my friend Sam for helping me brainstorm ideas. (The fact that I can ask them for help on a Camilo x reader Wattpad goes to show how amazing they are) So shoutout to him! (Slabofshamm