Chapter 3

*Some of this is from the actual book*

Mare P.O.V

The pair of them shoot bright red fireballs into the air, exploding targets as they rise and fall. Each one is a perfect shot, and even from up here, I recognize their smiling faces. Cal and Maven. So this is what they do during the day, Not learning to rule, to be a king, or even a proper lord, but to train for war. Cal and Maven are deadly creatures, soldiers. But their battle isn't just on the lines. It's here, in the palace, on the broadcasts, in the heart of every person they rule. They will rule, not just by right of a crown but by might. Strength and power. It's all the Silvers respect, and it's all it takes to keep the rest of us, slaves.

Then, Mareena steps up. She summons her lightning and hits each target perfectly with a stronger and much more lethal force than the princes. I watch in awe, looking at a girl who could have easily been me in another life. We look alike, have the same power, and are now, almost of the same status. Except her blood is silver, and mine is red. 

Evangeline steps up next. When the targets fly, she throws out a fan of sharp silver metal darts to take down each one in turn. No wonder she laughed at me for Protocol. While I'm here learning how to ear properly, she's training to kill. 

"Enjoying the show, Lady Mare?" a voice crows behind me. I turn around, my nerves tingling a bit. What I see doesn't do anything to calm me. Lady Blonos.

***

Mareena P.O.V

After frying the targets, I sit back down and watch as Evangeline gets her turn. She hits every target perfectly, no one expected anything less. Once she is done, she sits next to me. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Mare being approached by Lady Blonos. Evangeline snickers and I swallow the urge to laugh. We may be silvers, but Lady Blonos is still quite scary. I pity Mare. Couldn't be me though, we finished protocol... what? 10 years ago?

Maven then holds his hand out to me and says: "Would you like to duel my lady?"

Cal facepalms, muttering. "I said you should practice with someone equal, not someone stronger Mavey" he whispers in Maven's ear. Maven rolls his eyes at the nickname and says: "I can take her." Now it's my turn to roll my eyes. Maven is no warrior. I may not be one either, but I'm better at combat than he is. "Bring it on... Mavey" I smirk, and he comes closer, clearly annoyed. We enter the ring, and my hands spark, awaiting the challenge. Maven produces a small flame. "Don't worry Mareena, I'll be going easy on you" 

People start crowding us, hungry for entertainment. Yes, I would call kicking the prince's butt entertainment. 

Suddenly, I strike, causing Maven to trip since he dodged too fast but not fast enough. I graze his shoulder, which is enough to disable him for a second. Then I send lightning his way. This time, he makes a flame shield and throws some fireballs at me. After a few minutes of switching from offense to defense, I win. I giggle as I watch Maven collapse ground. "Going easy on me, huh?" I say, smiling. He gives me a thumbs up and lays back down on the ground. "I-I meant to do that"

Cal laughs, and Maven gives him a pointed glare. Cal stops laughing but still looks very amused. Evangeline congratulates me, thanking me for the entertainment.  We spend the rest of the time lazing around. 

Finally, we leave the training room, and I see Mare going to Julian now. Julian is nice, can sometimes be dull, but he is interesting most of the time. Even though Elara and Maven dislike him, I think he is a delightful person, he doesn't act all snooty, like some silvers I know. 

I haven't spoken to Mare yet. I think now would be the perfect moment. "Lucas, leave us please" Lucas looks at me, confused, but relents after a moment. Mare looks at me curiously. I observe the little lightning girl, the anomaly, and she observes me. In another life, another world, maybe we could have been friends or even sisters.

"Mare Titanos, the little lightning girl. Let me get something straight. We are not sisters, nor are we friends. But for the sake of this act, you will be spending more time with me. Don't slump your shoulders, act as you have just won something, pretend as if something has made you proud. Chin-up little lightning girl, if you're going to be my sister, act like it"

I walk away, leaving Mare standing there, mouth agape. I think I made an impact on her. At least I hope.