Chapter 1

It was a hot and sunny Friday, even with the cool air of the palace. 

The silk dresses are starting to get hot. Never mind that at least we look good in them...

"Uh, Mareena, are you listening, hello?" asked an annoyed Evangeline. Elane gave me a look. 

"Oh, yeah sorry!" I said, regaining my composure. "I said, are you excited for Queenstrial?" repeated Evangeline. 

"Well, yeah, I guess. My lightning can't really do much to the arena, but still, I have some pretty cool tricks."

Elane rolls her eyes. "Why do they even have Queenstrial? I mean, it's obvious you two are going to get chosen. Mareena with Cal and Evangeline with Maven. Or the other way around. Hard decision, because both of them are head over heels for you. I think Cal is better though. Queen Mareena! Make sure to remember us when you are on the top. Well, higher on the top then you are now I guess" 

Evangeline and Elane share a look, smirking. I blush silver and then try to hide it. "Well, I also know 2 people who are head over heels for each other. Hmm... I think the 2 people in front of me!" My turn to smirk. Who's blushing now?

Evangeline playfully sends a knife my way. I dodge and roll my eyes. As if she could hit me, even if she tried. Elane giggles, earning a glare from Evangeline. 

"Well, I'm going to go now, I need to finish something. Are you coming, Elane?" asks Evangeline. She waves and walks out the door. Elane follows. 

Great, now I'm bored too, and I have nothing to distract me from this heat. Maybe I should find a cooler spot, it's my fault I wanted to leave the window open. 

Suddenly, the door opens. I jerk up, surprised, and almost send a bolt of lightning at the unfortunate person who startled me. "Oh, it's just you Cal," I say, rolling my eyes at the crown prince, aka, one of my best friends... and then some. 

He pokes his head in and waves. "Do you want to go to the red town with me? I'm bored and need something to do. Plus, Samson is fighting" he says.

"I pity the fool who is going against Samson," I say, knowing that Samson will destroy that unfortunate soul. 

We laugh, and I put a cloak on. Not made out of good material, but at least I'll have something to do. "Let's go"

The red town, or the stilts, is... charming. No, not really, it's even hotter out here and dirtier too. I groan. Why did I agree to this! I also pity the poor reds who have to live in these terrible conditions. We sit down on the hard benches for reds. I am not red, but still, Cal makes me sit on those wretched benches.

"To see from their perspective," he says. Finally, the fight begins. A strongarm, house Rhambos, walks up to the stage. Then Samson. At first, the strongarm seems to be winning.

I see some reds whispering about who they think is going to win. A boy and a girl who looks a lot like me thinks the strongarm is going to win. Naive reds. Poor strongarm, he doesn't stand a chance. 

Cal points out that she looks like me, and I tell him that I look better than that. He agrees, making me blush silver. No, not in front of him!

"Oh, look, Samson is winning!" I exclaim, trying to district Cal so he doesn't notice I'm blushing. I like him, but he doesn't need to know that. Cal winces as Samson brutally finishes of the silver. Then again, Samson always does this, so it's not brutal, it's just normal. 

We spend the rest of the day hanging out at the silver market or exploring the red town, not worrying about the consequences. I don't really have parents anyway, the only person that would scold me would just be Queen Elara, who can be scary but she won't do anything. I really feel bad for the reds now. Truth is, they would probably be more powerful than us if they all worked together. They create amazing things without a silver ability. Without our ability... we are just like them. But I wouldn't admit that, not in a million years. The silvers would skin me alive if I said that. Well, they would try at least. I'd just fry them with my lightning. Haha. 

Nighttime...

"Ok, it's time to go back," I say, tugging Cal by the arm. God, that boy is heavy. Suddenly, a girl gets close to us and quickly tries to steal something from Cal. "Thief," he says. Well, obviously. The girl says the same thing I was thinking. Oh, wait... it's that girl who looks like an uglier and red version of me! She seems tired. Cal pulls the sob story out of her and he ends up giving her his coin. I pity her, so I also give her a coin. She looks annoyed, this is probably hurting her pride, but she takes them. Then she scurries off. I shrug and turn. "Let's go Cal"

Finally, we're back! And... oh great. The king and queen await us, looking annoyed. Maven stands next to them.  "Cal... can you explain to me why you... SKIPPED THE WHOLE DAY?!? YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE PREPARING!" booms the king. Cal stands tall but looks scared. He is wearing his "Crap I'm dead" face. 

Then it's my turn once the king is done scolding Cal. "Same for you Mareena, you could have prepared for queenstrial or trained, instead you were wandering around in the filthy red town and in the market. You are high-rank silver, you are nobility, not a low-rank silver." scolds Elara with the scariness but the I only want the best for you tone that only a mother could do. I don't really have parents... so Queen Elara kind of fills in the role. I would have really loved to have parents. Evangeline is lucky, even if her father, Lord Samos, is kind of a jerk. 

After scolding, Cal, Maven, and I walk back to our dorms. I hold my hand up threateningly and Maven, letting sparks fly. "You tattletale!" Maven backs away slowly and he apologizes. We begin bickering, just like old times.

"Maven, that was my piece of cake! You greedy pig!"

"Mareena! You ruined my suit!"

"Maven, you broke my toy!"

Lots of fights. But in the end, we always made up. "I know, I'm sorry," says Maven. "We forgive you Mavey," says Cal. Maven bristles at the nickname and tries to slap cal in the back of the head. Spoiler, he failed. Cal is as hard as a rock. Mavens slap was just a drifting feather. 

We laugh and I wave goodbye. I kiss both of them on the cheek, laughing at their expressions, and go to bed. 

Life was as it always was. Fun. 

Little did I know that wouldn't last. Mare Barrow ruins everything. Then again, she also made life more interesting...

Oh sorry, forgive my manners. I forgot to introduce myself.

My name is Mareena Titanos. I am a 17-year-old silver, a unique one with the power to control lightning. And I am competing in queenstrial tomorrow, for a chance to be queen. 

(A/N: 1217 words! How did you guys like it? Also, in this au, Mareena is younger than Maven by a month or 2. Mare is a bit older than Maven but that doesn't seem to matter in the books) 

Any ideas for nicknames for Mareena?