Chapter 16: Let's Do the Time Warp...Again

Start from the beginning

Sylvia stumbled backwards, away from the charred remains of her mother. She soon tripped over an invisible edge, falling and plummeting down a dark hole. Tumbling, falling, twisting around and around in the darkness she fell.

But then her feet landed on solid paving with a clack. Regaining composure, Sylvia realised she was standing in the rain, just outside of New Nortia.

Even your present.... So many failures Sylvia...

With the rain slating down, Sylvia ran inside the nearest tavern. With her tiny toddler frame, she had to put all of her weight on her shoulder to open the door. It was busy, people drinking and singing all over the place. However, above the din she heard a distinctive voice.

"It's not fair. It's not FAIR! My family were being torn apart down there, while yours were eating caviar and drinking aged wine. For Christ's sake your sister hasn't even gone on a hunt yet!"

It was her own voice, yet Sylvia had said nothing. She turned her attention towards the din, and with a start Sylvia realised that this was the tavern her and Darian had gotten into an argument.

"You can't blame us, that's not right. We offered you a home after we found out what happened and you can't forget that," Darian whispered, containing himself.

Sylvia watched in third person, staring from across the room as the old Sylvia got up out of the table. She was furious, her brows knitted together. Her hands were drawn into fists, fingers digging into her skin to try and keep the tears back.

"We needed you..." She said, downing her drink. Old Sylvia then did what she did best, she ran away. She left the tavern in a hurry, her cape whipping behind her as the door opening up to the stormy night.

"Sylvia, wait!" Darian called out, as the illusion faded to whisps of darkness. Sylvia felt an overwhelming sense of sorrow, sadness, as the next scene materialised in front of her.

"Sylvia..." It was Aliyah's voice, causing Sylvia to spin around her heart in her throat. Around her was the elven village, exactly as she remembered it. It was nighttime, a dull white glow just barely making it through the thick of the tree tops.

"I went to get you, but you were gone?" Sylvia turned to where Aliyah was facing, seeing herself and Darian at the entrance to her Family Archives. Sylvia gulped as she realised this is where she had abandoned Aliyah.

"Aliyah.... I-" Sylvia began, but was cut off by an arrow flying past her face. New Sylvia quickly spun to face where the arrow had come from, to see a dozen elves lining the Forrest canopy. Aliyah had not come alone.

"It was a trap all along!" Sylvia watched as her and Darian fled inside the Family Archives, leaving a sorrowful Aliyah with the rest of their kind.

You run away, but what are you running towards?

Again, the illusion disappeared into mist. When it reappeared however, Sylvia saw only white. Looking down, her small feet made little indents in the white. It looked almost like snow, but Sylvia felt no cold, no chill despite being in summer attire.

Then, out of no where a blur slammed into her side, throwing her flying backwards. Her back hit something solid, winding her as she crumpled to the ground. Sylvia coughed, small flecks of blood dribbling down her chin before splattering on the pristine white floor.

A thick, muscular hand was thrust towards Sylvia and grabbed her neck. The hand was so large it fit completely around her neck, and hoisted her up, pinning her against the solid surface behind her.

Lifting her gaze, Sylvia saw two brilliant, red eyes.

"My my, I thought you'd put up a better fight," a family voice said.

It was Anthony.

We stayed up! Even with the image! Hoorah for us!

But gosh wasn't that just a fun trip down memory lane! I had to go back and revisit my old book just to make sure I got the interactions exactly the same. Hope you guys enjoyed, and for those who haven't read the first book I hope this gives you a clear idea of what happened.