Chapter 1: School Daze

Start from the beginning

I watch Peter struggle to open his locker with them in the way. To think that I thought having popular girls gather near my locker was annoying. Poor Peter has to deal with students making out without a care in the world practically right on top of his locker.

Even though my plan failed, I'm not giving up. I have to talk to Peter today. I just have too. So, being the weirdo that I am, I follow Peter outside to the school court yard and watch him from behind a pillar.

He stands in place with his skateboard under his arm. I smile to myself when I notice that he's absentmindedly spinning one of his skateboard's wheels with his fingers. It's one of the cute habits that he has.

A second or two passes before I realize that Peter is staring at something further into the courtyard...or someone. I follow his gaze to Gwen Stacy and frown.

Oh no, please no, Peter has a crush on Gwen Stacy! Oh, come on! Of course he does. But why her? Of all people why her? She, well, except for maybe Peter, is the only one standing in my way of being valedictorian. I worked my butt off at my old school and was the top of my class there, but when I started attending Midtown High, all that changed. I now have a rival, none other than miss perfect Gwen Stacy herself, star student and teacher's pet of Midtown High.

Hoping that I'm wrong about Peter having a crush on Gwen, I continue to spy on him from behind the pillar.

Peter takes out a camera and snaps a picture of Gwen.

Well, that's it. I feel like growling. Peter really does have a crush on her. There's no doubt about it. Dang it, now I'll have to not only get Peter to notice me but also have to find a way to capture his heart as well.

"Eat it! Eat it! Eat it! Eat it!" cheers a bunch of students out further into the court yard. There's a large group of students surrounding something.

Peter seems to also notice the commotion and walks over to see what's going on. I wait a second before following after him, making sure to keep my distance, so it doesn't look like I'm actually following him.

Peter heads straight into the crowd, and I try to do the same but on a different side of the circle. It's a bit hard to squeeze between people, but I eventually make it through. When my eyes land on Flash bullying a boy named Gordon, it doesn't surprise me at all. I should have known it was Flash causing all this ruckus.

"Hey, Parker, come on. Get a picture of this. Come on," Flash prods as he holds poor Gordon upside down, forcing him to eat his lunch off a plate with only his mouth.

"No, I'm not gonna take a picture," Peter says calmly. "Put him down, Flash, Put him down, man." Peter motions with his finger for Flash to put Gordon down.

Flash doesn't listen and instead leans Gordon down to eat some more.

"Gordon, Gordon," Peter says, shaking his head at him. "Don't eat it. Don't eat it."

"Take the picture, Parker," Flash demands again but this time more harshly.

"Put him down, Flash," Peter orders, motioning again with his finger to let Gordon go.

"Take the picture," Flash repeats.

Peter shakes his head. "Put him down! Eugene ."

I stifle a giggle. I had no idea Flash's real name is Eugene. Then again, I also didn't realize how gutsy of a person Peter could be until now either.

Flash gets angry at Peter and immediately tosses Gordon to the ground. Gordon lets out an awkward yelp as he hits the floor.

Peter attempts to walk forward and make sure that he's all right, but Flash grabs him by the collar and lands a hard punch to his face. Peter falls to the ground from the impact.