iii (hoseok)

"A mistake."

Hoseok considered Jungkook's death a lot of things, but mistake was never a word that crossed his mind. Tragic, terrible, unjust, shocking, heart-rendering, yes. Mistake what was he used when one tripped or trusted their bad judgment. Mistake was a simple, everyday, word; Jungkook could only die once.

Annoyance treaded through him. He never liked when anyone outside of those close to him talked about Jungkook's death, or fundamental being, for that matter. Despite his worldwide fame, he preferred to keep him hidden, a little secret that no one could touch, or harm. The pretty seashells that appeared and disappeared with every wave that splashed against the shore. Here this unnamed, faceless, formless manifestation was speaking formally, without compassion, egging them on for a proper answer.

Although if the mysterious voice was insinuating that bad judgment had led to his passing, then, yes, he would consider it a mistake. The biggest mistake in the world. If this was their way of apologizing, he would see red before he considered accepting.

Jimin glanced at him with mild trouble. Hoseok's flat pronunciation suggested a mere glimpse of the anger brewing hot underneath his skin. Jungkook, his Jungkook, was ripped from them due to negligence. He did not care about whatever abilities the deity harvested, he wanted to explode with all the pent-up frustration stored in his body.

However, no mind was paid to his impoliteness. If anything, the voice seemed pleased.

"Yes, a mistake. Humans define it as a misguided action or judgment."

Hoseok hated the feeling of speechlessness. He reasoned that as long as he was there, under the mercy of the sky, he would have to withstand the embarrassment.

"If there is nothing else any of you need to say, I will now begin to explain to you the reason why you are here."

Like schoolchildren to their teacher, they finally obeyed and fell into silence. Their panic was not extinguished, but for the moment, subdued. Listening never turned once turned him the wrong way, after all.

"When someone is born, they are given a specific amount of time. Their choices pertaining to how they spend it are entirely up to them. Jungkook's 23 years of life were completely under his will. Respectfully, the universe did not anticipate the impact Jeon Jungkook would make with his life. Nor the impact of his death."

Hoseok could not fathom how anyone who met Jungkook could ever think he wouldn't do anything great, much less those who created him.

His opinion on knowing Jungkook's death was simply ill-fated was hazy. Not even unlucky. Only what stick had been pulled at the beginning of his life.

He pondered what he would think if he had known prior. Beg an unknown deity for mercy? Hold Jungkook so incredibly close, in case he couldn't leave for a second, in case he'd miss the sensation of his last breathe slipping away. Anger was so useless. The emotion wouldn't have mattered then and didn't matter, there stood in the greenest of greens.

The last part was accurate - Jungkook's death caused shockwaves across the globe. Maybe it was his eyes, but all color dulled a shade. Korea lost a cultural icon. Major renewed emphasis on the importance of safe driving. The Idol industry shifted, some companies taking advantage of Bangtan's hiatus, some idols retiring, forced to understand the importance of life, and others striving to replicate the significance Jungkook once held. It was like reality fell out of place, no one the same as before.

But why was this being discussed, there, in a different world? The voice paused. Longer and longer the silence went as if they were purposely dragging it along for proper dramatic tension. Hoseok shifted his gaze from above to the others.