"personally, i think you know i'm one hundred percent team nini and ricky, but... it's true that this is a pretty low-pressure night. genuinely, if you wanted to, i could totally ditch big red and we can just dance us girls and ignore the ricky thing all together. i think you have a lot of possibilities tonight, but i do agree with kourt that this could be a good chance to try to see how it feels to kiss him." aspen says a bit tentatively, before quickly following it up. "as long as you're not getting too drunk, obviously. like- that's a quick way to make things complicated. especially if things... escalate."

"i'm not going to get super drunk tonight, trust me. it's really sweet that my mom offered to pick me up if i needed it, but i'd really rather not have to make that call. plus, i'd rather not be hungover tomorrow." nini shakes her head, grimacing at the idea.

"oh speaking of calls-" aspen picks up her cell, bright grin on her face. "hey red, what's up?"

the girls can't hear him on the other line, but their friend cannot stop smiling, so they'll take it as a good thing.

"no, we're not ready just yet, but we'll head over to your place when we are. maybe like- another half hour? don't start without us."

it's definitely amusing to watch aspen, her joy filling the room easily while kourtney and nini just wait for her to finish up talking to their redheaded friend.

"i don't care if ricky's bored, we need to get all prettied up before we go. just play that tony hawk game on your xbox or something while you're waiting."

"you're sweet. but seriously, i'm sure the three of you can find something to do. it won't be that much longer. plus, we've got to be at least a little late to the party, it's sort of frowned upon to be on time with this kind of thing."

"i know. okay, see you in a bit." she blows a quick kiss into the phone, and then hangs up, nini and kourtney having pleased smiles on their own faces.

"what?"

"just you two are sweet, that's all. it's so nice to have you two work things out." what nini doesn't say is that it's good that at least one person's middle school crush worked out, but she knows her friends hear it in her wistful tone even without the words themselves.

"i think you will too ni, really."

"thanks guys." her bottom lip comes out slightly, and while she feels a bit silly, arms out and her hands gesturing for them both to come closer, she can't help but pull both of her friends into a tight hug.

when they pull away again, kourtney goes over to grab something laying on the bed before handing nini the bag with her clothes in it. "alright neeners, i love the sentimental stuff as much as the next girl, but it's time to get you dressed. go change while i tidy all this up."

nini takes the bag and goes into the bathroom in the hallway by aspen's room, looking at the contents.

that glittery crop top and black faux leather pleated skirt she anticipated feeling rather tight on her body given she usually wore looser t-shirts and that sort of thing. she still looked like she was dressed in her own style, but definitely outside her comfort zone.

despite what she'd said, as she slips her tights on before shimmying that rather short skirt up over her tanned legs, she knows that ricky really won't be able to stop staring.

but he also won't be the only one.

"can someone help zip me?" she calls into the hallway, leather was always sticky like that.

"i got you." kourtney comes into the bathroom when nini unlocks it, a strange look on the girl's face which shifts immediately when she makes eye contact with nini.

"wait okay one second, girl you look hot." kourtney takes a step back, looking her friend head to toe.

"thanks kourt, i don't know how i feel yet, but i know it's a good feeling. just different..."

"okay, well trust me you look fantastic and if your friend ricky doesn't try to actually hook up with you tonight i'm going to take it as a personal offense because i got you all dolled up."

"kourtney! i'm not hooking up with him." she gasps, clasping her hands over her cheeks to hide her blush rather unsuccessfully.

"never said you'd go through with it just that he'd definitely be into it." she hums, turning nini around and zipping up her skirt carefully, not wanting to pinch her skin.

"you know i don't know if i'm worrying about what ricky wants tonight kourt... i'm sure someone else will keep me company if he won't."

"please just be careful nini..."

"i will, i will. i'm just saying he might be a bit caught up in gina. she told me she wanted to make up with him tonight." nini explains, shrugging her shoulders casually.

"she said that? should you maybe warn ricky?"

"i don't think she's gonna come onto him kourt just like- try to be friends? that's not something he needs to be warned about."

"if you wind up leaving with someone other than him because he and gina were 'making up' i'm not responsible."

"kourtney..." she protests. "first of all, if i go home with anyone it'll be our friends, hell we might just crash there for the night... but i really do think gina's being genuine. or i hope so? she obviously invited us for a reason, we should try to have a good time."

"i don't trust her or him to be honest right now, but you can trust me when i say that i'm planning to have the best possible time tonight." kourtney beams, looking at nini's outfit one last time as they go back to aspen's room.

"hey, you all ready to head over? i just got my finishing touches done."

"aspen you look amazing!" nini grins.

and she really did, if it was obvious they'd all never been to something like this, it was easy to dismiss as the raven haired girl couldn't help but feel confident dressed this way.

"i feel amazing! i'm genuinely so excited to see everyone."

"lover boy's going to be really happy when he sees you." kourtney replies with a smile bright enough to rival aspen's own.

"oh stop it!"

nini's convinced this would be the best night. the perfect way to start anew.