Chapter 45

Sarah's p.o.v.

Emma stopped the car on the driveway.
"Lets leave the stuff in my room," she said getting out of the car.
"Okay," both Steve and I said in the same time.
I chuckled and got out of the car.
"Hi, kids," Alex opened the house door and stopped on the porch.
"Hi," I smiled.
"Movie night, huh?" grandpa genuinely smiled.
"Yeah," Emma smiled and kissed his cheek when went past him inside.
I did as well and we were on the way to the stairs.
"Dinner will be ready in fifteen minutes. And Sarah, may I talk to you?" Alex said.
"Sure, I'll be back in a minute," I nodded and went up.
I went in my room and switched on the lights and threw my bag and jacket on the chair. With a deep sigh I flopped on the bed with my face in the pillows. The atmosphere in this house was tensed and I felt that the dinner will be awkward. I don't even want to think how Steve is feeling. He's just too polite to catch the next flight with some kind of emergency at work as an excuse. In his place, I'd probably go back home, away from this madness.
The mattress dipped and a warm hand rested on my back.
"You okay?" Steve asked.
"Yeah, just a bit tired. Not a big deal," I said in the pillow.
"Alex is waiting for you," he messed my hair, knowing how much I hate that.
"Steve!" I shouted, turning around.
He just had that adorable smile on his face and raised his hands in deffense. I sat up and gathered my hair up in a messy ponytail.
"Feel free to explore my room and make yourself at home," I got out of bed and kissed his cheek.
"You missed again," Steve smiled and reached out his hand to my waist.
"Your problem," I stuck out my tongue and ran away before he caught me.
I ran to the stairs and made sure Steve isn't chasing me. Yep, he's definitely going to make me pay for that. I went down the stairs and headed to Alex's office. Just being polite, I knocked.
"Come in," he said.
I went in and saw him sitting on the couch and flipping pages of a magazine. I closed the door and sat next to him.
"So, how are things going with Steve?" Alex turned to me.
"Great, he's an amazing person and boyfriend. But I know you didn't ask me over to talk about him," I looked in his iron-gray eyes.
"No, I didn't. Okay, when you were a child I taught you how important is to keep promises. But sometimes you have to estimate if that's what you're keeping is worth it," Alex held up his hand, because I was about to interrupt, "I'm not mad at you because I know I've raised someone right. But sometimes you have to take the risk, because you're able to influence the future. It may not always be right but you have to take the risk to make things right. I love you no matter what and I always will. You will always be my little princess no matter how much you prefer being called soldier."
"I love you too," I threw my arms around Alex's neck and looked up to hold back my tears.
"Beth went to her parents house," he patted my back and pulled away.
"And dad?"
"In his room. Do you wanna see that ship I told you about?"
"Of course," I smiled.
We stood up and went to Alex's work shop which actually is a shed in the backyard. I've always loved that place - the smell of wood, mixed with coffee, glue and paints. He taught me how to make toys and figures of wood. Last year we decided to make a reproduction of a ship like in 'The Pirates of Carribean'. Last time I was there on July 4th and we had almost finished the drawing. Now he had made the 'ribs' of the ship and started to make masts.
"Wow, I have few options for the sail fabric and I'll send you that coatee," I told while admiring the precise work.
"Well, you have to take more days off for Christmas so you can make some parts too. Oh, and by the way, I sold that 'Ford' model," I leaned against the work table.
"Wow, and is that guy with those weird glasses still whining about that mirror frame for his wife?" I laughed.
"Oh, yes. He comes there twice a week to see how I'm doing," Alex joined me.
"God, how you can stand that? I'd have kicked his butt long time ago."
"He's not worth it," he shrugged.
"Hey, dinner is ready," Emma looked inside.
She never really understood mine and Alex's passion for joinery.
We went back in. Steve was sitting on the couch in the living room and flipping pages of photo album.
"Oh, no," I face-palmed and went to him.
"Hi, princess," he looked up at me.
"Please, put it away," I tried to close the album.
Well the thing is - I don't like showing others my childhood photos.
"You looked really cute in that pink dress, princess," Steve smirked.
"Give it back and stop calling me a princess. I hate that," I tried to grab the album but Steve was quicker.
"Sarah prefered to be called a soldier in childhood because she loved Captain America," Robert said coming in the living room.
Steve tensed and protectively wrapped his arm around my waist. I looked up at my father - he had sobered up a bit but honestly looked like a shit and was still drunk.
"And here starts the awkward dinner," I sighed.
"This is the best payback ever, soldier," Steve kissed my cheek.
"Will you shut up if I kiss you properly?" I turned to him.
"Are you trying to bribe me?" Steve raised one eyebrow.
"Fine, I just tried to be nice," I stood up and stuck out my tongue.
I had gone only few steps when Steve spun me around and kissed with such passion that my heart almost forgot how to beat.
"Oh, c'mon. Save it for the bedroom," Emma said.
We pulled away out of breath and laughed. I took his hand and lead to the dining room. Everyone was already there and we took our seats - next to each other. As I had predicted, the atmosphere was awkward.
"Steve, how it was to wake up in a different world?" Alex tried to save the situation.
"Ugh, confusing. I had to learn everything almost from the zero-" Steve started to explain.
"What are you talking about?" Robert interrupted.
"Steve is Captain America if you haven't noticed yet," Alex looked at his son with a blank expresion.
"Yeah, right. That dude was frozen for 70 years and lives with the rest of the Avengers," dad scoffed.
"I don't live in New York, sir," Steve corrected.
"Wait... If you're Captain America then... Fuck, dude you're older than Alex! God help me if you fuck my daughter!" Robert screamed.
It was the last drop. My blood was boiling. I squeezed the knife tightly in my hand and hit it in the table with a force that made my vine glass fall and others wobble.