A Kind Invitation

Around two or three weeks had passed by ever since you met Camilo. You two were getting closer and closer as friends everyday. After a bit, you already considered yourselves as best friends. Normally, you would leave your home and go to the same tree where Camilo fell for the first time. It was a nice memory. A nice memory for you, but still, a nice memory. Camilo would meet you there and you two would spend your day fooling around the village and sometimes, pulling some inoffensive pranks. Multiple times, Camilo had to shape shift into random people to avoid getting into trouble. But even in another form, he still had that little sparkle in his eye that immediately gave out his true identity as Camilo Madrigal. After all, you could recognize him, no matter how good his acting was. One day, you woke up to one of your older brothers, Diego, knocking on your door.

  -Hey la Bella durminente, Acuerda! Mamá is asking you to go buy food in the market.

  You had just woken up and you still had bed hair. You grabbed your pillow and sank your head in it while letting out an annoyed groan. Those were the kind of days that the only thing you really wanted to do, was stay in bed sleeping. But on the other hand, the day was so pretty outside and the sun was so warm. So you got up and dressed up. After some minutes dressing, you went downstairs to eat something before leaving.

-Buenos dias mi hija, are you going to hang out with your friend today?

Your father greeted you putting food in front of you while he drank his coffee. You thanked him and sat down with him.

-Hola papá! Yhea we're gonna meet up today. But if I got it right, he has been very tired and occupied since his father's birthday is coming up. He said he wants it to be perfect to "compensate" all the trouble he causes on a daily basis. Anyways, I have to go! See you later papá!

You and your dad had a small conversation before you had to go get that fruit from the market your mom asked you. The sun was shining bright and it was a beautiful day. You got those oranges your mom asked you and payed for them. However, once you turned, you accidentally stumbled across a red head woman in a yellow dress. The weather near both of you went from that beautiful sun to a cloudy day. You fell to the ground and tried to help get the things for that lady.

-Oh dios mio! Mil pérdons! Please let me help you señora! My name is YN LN.

All of a sudden, the weather turned jolly again. You finished picking up that lady's groceries and looked up at her hoping she wouldn't be mad at you. But all of a sudden... you felt... a hug? A tight hug. Was that woman really hugging you? After all the trouble you caused her?

-Oh my darling! You could have just said that!
-Could have just said... what exactly?
-That you're YN! My son's friend! Camilo Madrigal? I'm Pepa Madrigal!

Well, that definitively enlightened you. However you were a bit surprised about how Camilo talked about you at home.

-Oh señora Madrigal! It's so nice to finally meet you! I didn't realize Camilo talked about me that much.
-Oh querida, every time he comes home with those tiny scratches and with leaves or sticks stuck to his curls, we already know where he was. He likes you very much, you know.

You gave her an embarrassed giggle. But you couldn't stop feeling a bit of guilt for letting Camilo get hurt that often. However, it was his fault. He got hurt by himself, you never were a part of it.

-Ah, that's... nice. I hope you don't have the wrong impression of me. He gets hurt by himself, I never need to interfere!
-Oh, I know, I know, he always finds a way to get himself into trouble someway. Actually, if you could knock some sense into his head, that would be great!

Not that you didn't try, but Camilo was a 15 year old teenage boy. His whole DNA is trouble. It's engraved. On his blood. He could be a good guy, but a troublemaker. But at least, you were happy his mom knew her son well enough to know that he didn't need any kind of help in his little pranks.

-Oh well, I tried but you know, that is what makes Camilo special. He stands out from the crowd and does it in his own unique way. After all, I liked Camilo for being himself and not anything else.

You were so dozed off talking about how special Camilo was in his own way you forgot that his mom was there. You apologized and let her talk.

-Yes, yes I know. He is a handsome young man and-
-MAMÁ?! QUÉ ESTÁS HACIENDO?!

A male voice screamed behind you. It was familiar. You looked back and saw the silhouette of a curly haired boy. He had a basket of apples on his hands and wore a yellow poncho. His face was familiar but his expression wasn't. Camilo.

-Camilo, mi hijo, I was talking to your friend! She's such a sweetheart!
-Ai mami... can you give us a moment por favor?

Camilo looked more embarrassed than ever. His mom blowed you a kiss and waved you goodbye. You also waved her goodbye and looked at Camilo.

-YN!
-Camilo!
-This isn't a joke! Escucha, did you mentioned my dad's cumpleaños to her?

You never saw Camilo that nervous. His father must be super important to him.

-Claro que no! I'm not an idiot!
-Oh thank god! I swear, if something doesn't go as planned....

Camilo seemed nervous. And he was always so relaxed. It was weird. Creepy really! From all the people you could think of, Camilo was the last person to be nervous or anxious.

-Camilo cálmate! You're gonna have a panic attack! Everything is gonna turn out just fine!
-I AM CALM!

Spoiler alert, he wasn't. You patted Camilo on his arm assuring him everything was gonna be okay.

-Thanks YN... but your hands smell like oranges... no offense.

Not at all, oranges smell great. You laughed it off with Camilo

-YN escucha, you have to help me. Can you come with me to my dad's birthday? Please! I need you there!

Camilo was so desperate, he was begging you. It was his dad. You were more scared of him than he was of him.

-Hm.. such a kind invitation... fine, I'll go with you.
-Oh thank you! You just made me feel 10x more relieved! So, see you tonight then? My house? At 7:30pm?
-Since you asked so nicely, yes. See you tonight, Camaléon.