Chapter Thirty-One: Agree with Lewis

Chapter Thirty-One

Agree with Lewis

***

Bella POV

"What do you think?"

I glanced up at Cleo, over the racks of clothes and raised a white top into the air allowing her to see. She examined the top, momentarily forgetting the dress in her hands.

"Oh, I like it," Cleo noted, "I think I saw the same one but in peach."

She disappeared, ducking her head down and I sank into the cushion seat with a sigh. Our search for maternity clothes for Cleo had been dragging on for many hours resulting in aching feet and arms from the constant walking and weight of the bags. I was surprised that Cleo was still bustling about, full of energy because I was ready for a break two hours in. I kept a bright smile plastered to my face for Cleo's sake.

"Will, hey, how are you?" I heard Cleo exclaim and I straightened immediately, snapping my head around towards her voice.

"I'm fine, how about you?" Will's voice drifted from behind the rack of comfy leggings. "Wow, doing some intense shopping, I see?"

Okay, stop being so dramatic, Bella. I thought furiously, we are friends. And friends don't flinch every time they see each other.

I rose to my aching feet, wincing in my heels and hobbling over to where I could Cleo and Will chatting.

"Will!" I cried, smiling genuinely as I popped out from behind the rack of clothes. "I thought I heard you!"

A cheerful grin spread onto his face and I felt my cheeks flush red.

"We have to stop meeting like this, Bella," Will replied and Cleo crept away slowly, smiling knowingly. "I haven't seen you since..."

"Yeah," I interrupted, dropping my gaze and praying he couldn't tell when I was lying. "Sorry about that. I didn't get passed the receptionist. It was a bust."

"Ah, you really had me worried," Will began, frowning slightly. "I wish you'd called?"

"Yeah," I repeated, "Sorry."

He nodded, turning to glance at Cleo who was clearly eavesdropping by the sweaters.

I rolled my eyes and stifled a laugh. "So..."

"So..."

There was a slight pause as neither of us spoke, staring anywhere but at each other.

"Bella," Will began and I was forced to look up into his blue eyes. "Do you want to go out sometime?"

I struggled to keep a straight face even though my mouth was itching to spread into a grin.

"That was quite unexpected," I teased cheekily. "When did you become so bold?"

He shrugged with a crooked smile creeping onto his face. A flicker behind him caught my attention, distracting me slightly but when I had registered what was happening, I forgot about Will and his proposal.

Whatever Will said in response, I didn't hear. All my attention was focused on the woman Cleo was conversing with.

Charlotte.

"No, no, no!" I cried out loud, bustling past a confused and (I would realise later) hurt Will. "Cleo!"

Cleo looked round, surprised at my panicked expression. Charlotte turned to watch me also, as I skipped over even though my bruised feet commanded me not to.

"Bella?" Cleo said slowly, looking over at Charlotte in embarrassment. "Are you...?"

"Who's this?!" I cried out when I had reached them, being overly eager and false. "We haven't met before, have we?"

I widened my eyes ever so much at Charlotte and she seemed to understand, with minute nod and she reached out her hand for me to shake.

"This is Charlotte," Cleo, blushed, not noticing the exchange of looks. "We went to school together shortly."

"I left before you arrived," Charlotte added, a second passing before she realised her mistake and therefore began to stutter.

"How did you know-?" Cleo started but I intervened quickly, glaring at Charlotte furiously.

"Nice to meet you!" I smiled cheerfully and as I continued, lowering my voice and speaking quite forcefully so she knew I was being serious. "What are you doing here, Charlotte?"

"Oh, I'm just..." Charlotte glanced over at Cleo. "Shopping?"

"For maternity clothes?" I spoke through gritted teeth and Charlotte but her lip.

"For my friend, yes."

I saw Cleo opening her mouth to respond and quickly added, "Cleo, we have to go!"

"Now?" she frowned, glancing at Charlotte again, obviously embarrassed to be seeing an old school nemesis and have her friend being very rude, flustered and false. "Bella, I haven't even bought my clothes yet?"

"Go now!" I insisted, nodding towards the till and hoping she wouldn't make too much of a fuss.

Thankfully Cleo hobbled off, looking over her shoulder at me with a confused expression. The minute she had turned her back and was out of sight, I turned on Charlotte.

"What do you think you're doing here?!" I spat and she blushed sheepishly.

"I wanted to talk to her," Charlotte stated, "It isn't just up to Lewis, he can't just say no and then we have to move on, always wondering "what if"! Besides! It's Cleo's right as the mother!"

"So, you thought the best way to break the news to her was to stalk her and jump her, unaware?"

Charlotte rolled her eyes but I could read guilt on her face. "No! I just wanted to pretend to bump into her and then arrange for us to meet up for lunch or something and then gradually, gradually being the keyword, tell her!"

I shook my head furiously, "We aren't telling her! Lewis made himself perfectly clear,-"

"Please, as if Lewis is going to stop us," Charlotte smirked, "what happened to his scientific curiosity?"

"It's his child, Charlotte."

"You don't agree with Lewis. I don't agree with Lewis, Rikki doesn't agree with Lewis, Emma doesn't agree with Lewis, Cleo wouldn't agree with Lewis if she knew anything!" Charlotte went on frantically. "And Denman certainly doesn't agree with Lewis! So why are we listening to him and his pathetic warning?"

"If we tell her," I began slowly and calmly, "we tell her on our terms. I'll talk to the girls and we'll all decide. You can't just take it into your own hands, it's a group decision. Don't make contact with Cleo again. Now, leave the shop quickly, before she comes back."

Charlotte surprisingly did as I said without being persistent and when Cleo returned, she didn't mention my odd behaviour after I simply stated that Charlotte had to run.

So another chapter! What did you think? Give me your feedback if you want, it really helps :) Also, I'd like to apologise as I always do, to all the people who have been asking me to update. It's always in the back of my mind that I have to write and it means a lot that you all are still out there and supporting the story even though I don't update as often as I should :) Okay, soppy author's note completed!